Featured Tole chandelier

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Emma R, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Hi everyone:)
    I'm wondering about this tole chandelier. We bought a 1930s home in East Texas. This chandelier was already here. I'm assuming it's not original to home but curious what decade y'all think it's from...?
    I cannot find a maker's mark. It's all metal except the black socket covers.
    Thanks! 20200830_003832~2.jpg 20200830_003839~2.jpg 20200830_003847~2.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Oh, I didn't know these had a name. Tole chandelier.

Not an expert on this at all.
    When I have come across this material in table lamps, I have always thought 1950s/60s Italian.
    Why I don't know.

People come and go at all hours, be sure to check back.

3. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson Well-Known Member

Yes, around the 50s.
    It's a really pretty one!
    Personally I would paint those sockets white or buy faux candle covers (whatever they are called)

4. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Great! Thank you both:)
    There are 2 other ones that were already in the house. Should i create new threads or do i just add them here?
    They are 2 different styles....not tole.

5. Matt Johnson

No problem
    I believe you can upload them here as well

Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Pat Dennis

Pat Dennis Active Member

These were very popular circa 1960’ and 1970’s. Styles include lamps, sconces, small glass top table bases, etc. and were made in Italy. Some of the styles were also gilded and antiqued. These became popular again when “cottage”, shabby chic and French Apartment decor was in. My favorites were the tables bases and sconces of gilded wheat sheafs. Yep, I’m a baby boomer.

Fid, Christmasjoy, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  7. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

This is the second one. This one is totally not my style...not sure its worth selling. Needs paint--metal is magnetic, coating is distressed/peeling, and i see some vertigris...so I'm assuming it's not brass;)
    Anyone know something about this one?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

8. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Sorry...forgot the pics... 20200830_104439~2.jpg 20200830_104433~2.jpg 20200830_104423~2.jpg

judy and Matt Johnson like this.
  9. Matt Johnson

That one has that 50s vibe as well. I see why it's not your style but similar ones are made even nowadays
    https://www.amazon.com/Lantern-Chandelier-Finished-Ceiling-Fixture/dp/B07PBF8DNJ

You can sell it of course as vintage, mid century pieces are getting desirable again. The price depends on where you live and all that.

Or you could remove that cage construction and voilà you have that small chandelier in the middle which is still cute.
    However, just dont throw it away.

judy likes this.
  10. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Great suggestions! Thanks Matt.
    This is the 3rd one. It is broken and missing a few crystals...some my daughters dropped while tossing a pillow or something...others i might not have. I'm also wondering what decade it could be from and if it's worth fixing...? Any thoughts?
    Thanks again!

PS. It needs a good cleaning:)
    20200830_104518~2.jpg 20200830_104515~2.jpg 20200830_104508~2.jpg 20200830_172157~2.jpg

judy and lovewrens like this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

We had one very similar to your first one in a house we built about 1978. It was made in Italy. I loved it but the rest of the family thought I was nuts!

Your second one could be from almost anytime. It will be hard/impossible to restore the brass. You might consider doing it like the one in the ad. Pretreat the brass then paint it black - or another color.

Your last one is a fairly nice looking chandelier. You can find missing drops on eBay or maybe look at Restoration Hardware (RT).

12. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Thanks patd8643!
    On the last one when i looked it up it seems to look like the "Heritage" crystal style...? Of course...not sure:\
    Do you have any idea how old it might be? Or how i can find out?
    Thanks.

judy likes this.
  13. Matt Johnson

Looks pretty clean to me. It's a beautiful chandelier! Totally worth fixing.
    The producer is Schonbek (a pretty old company) but the chandelier is not so old. New ones are pretty expensive:
    https://m.schonbek.lightingnewyork.com/product/schonbek-sterling-chandeliers-2995-40s.html

judy likes this.
  14. Matt Johnson

Im not sure if that link works, here a picture as well
    IMG_20200831_120926_530.jpg

15. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Thanks Matt! I probably need to find a local/nearby shop and see how much it costs to restore it.
    I appreciate all the feedback:)

judy and Matt Johnson like this.
  16. Matt Johnson

If you don't plan on selling it you can just combine the already existing pieces.
    They are pretty fragile so be careful when cleaning.
    I have a few crystal chandeliers as well, and yup some have small damages it happens especially with kids in the house haha
    received_2721143328174571.jpeg
    received_364374127894585.jpeg

17. Emma R

Emma R Active Member

Yeah...I was thinking about that...just even out the crystals.
    And actually, we currently have it in our living room but i want a fan...my older daughter wants it for her room if we switch it out.
    Love the medallion! That's the finishing touch we need:)

judy likes this.
  18. Matt Johnson

Thank you!
    Yeah they always look better with a medallion.
    If you take that chandelier down check out this part, its usually where they mark the producer and maybe even the year when it was made
    IMG_20200831_163816_746.jpg
    It looks like Schonbeck but that way you will be 100% sure

judy likes this.
  19. Ralph Hansen

Ralph Hansen New Member

I need help figuring out my Chandelier that came with the purchase of my house if anyone can help.
    Chandelier3.jpg Chandelier2.jpg Chandelier3.jpg

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  20. Matt Johnson

So, judging by the pictures it was intended for gas, so it's called a gasolier. Yours, just like this one, has this handles which used to regulate the light Screenshot_20201016-115242.png
    Later on someone converted it to electricity.
    I'm not 100% sure but it's probably victorian. (or someone combined old parts and made this one lol) Please take more pictures!

Also, I notticed that one of those pans is broken, you can probably find something similar to replace it.
    I loovee the shiny effect on the walls from the sun. It's really pretty! (and expensive if it's a genuin one)

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted