Featured Totally Confused-Duncan Miller, Sterling, Indiana, Colony Plaza Classique Goblet

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kaudet, Jul 19, 2019.

1. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

classique goblet sterling indiana duncan miller plaza glass.jpg duncan_miller_plaza_ruby_flash_stain goblet clear.jpg Hi there,
    t Indiana Glass CLASSIQUE Georgian Thumbprint Motif Optic Footed Goblets 1600.jpg INDIANA CLASSIQUE GOBLET GREEN.jpg Hi there,
    I am totally confused. Does anyone know the story behind this glass goblet with oval and thumbprint design and cut rayed foot? Some identify it as DUNCAN & MILLER PLAZA #21. Others id it as Indiana/Colony CLASSIQUE. And some say Sterling Glass CLASSIQUE. Which one is correct? Did molds get passed around?

Thanks for any help in solving this one.

Kathy

TallCakes, judy and Bronwen like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

This is probably a @George Nesmith , @dgbjwc question.

I suspect that Duncan Miller may have been the original maker. When they went out of business they sold their molds. So Indiana/Colony may have bought this mold, I don't know who Sterling is and where they would fit in.

Wait for George or Don to weigh in.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

If aging memory is correct Colony acquired Duncan and Miller and Indiana along with several other companies in the 1960-80s. The pattern could easily have originated with D@M and been continued with other Colony companies.

Mugzinnys, judy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  4. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

these are 'Classique' pattern by Colony/Indiana Glass and seem to be often confused as 'Plaza'. It's hard to find info on the Plaza pattern by D&M, tho' chataboutDG does have the tumbler patents showing the 3 circles between the vertical darts. Did find a sherbet example at WP showing the different ball stem as well; Plaza also lack the flutes of Classique.

https://chataboutdg.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=6933&mode=search

[​IMG]

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/duncan-miller-plaza-punties-green-low-117520537

you might contact someone a the National Duncan Glass Society to see if they might share some info on Plaza Punties...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Mugzinnys, judy and UncleChuckTX like this.
  5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Why do I remember that US Glass/Tiffin bought the Duncan Miller Molds?

Mugzinnys and judy like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I know they bought quite a few of Duncan Miller molds. Did they buy all of them?

I only said that maybe Indiana bought some of DM's molds. I could be way off base. You know a lot more about this than I do.

7. Cherryhill

My 30 or 40 year old memory says they bought all of them.
    Most of our related research was with Geo Duncan & Sons which merged into US Glass.

Mugzinnys, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  8. Cherryhill

George May be correct, it's beyond my ken, but anyone could have purchased the US Glass/Duncan moulds after US Glass closed in the 1980s.

Mugzinnys, judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  9. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for you input. Tallcakes, I do see the difference in the two links. Number of circles between wedges different and shape of wafer different.

10. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

11. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

Gail Krause's Duncan reference guide shows Plaza on page 53. Not the greatest photos though. The pieces have two horizontal lines about an inch below the rim. The feet are not cut with rays as on Classique. Most of the pieces do not have a round wafer on the stem with the exception of the goblet and parfait (looks like a footed iced tea). The number of circles between the slashed darts varies according to the size of the piece.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

I don't have the book but found that there is more info on Plaza in Pina, Depression Era Glass by Duncan, page 62.

judy likes this.
  13. kaudet

kaudet Well-Known Member

They show a pink vase in the Plaza pattern here. https://duncan-miller.org/history/

Mugzinnys and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I can't add much to the discussion above. I've checked my reference books and couldn't find anything at all about this pattern in either my Duncan or Indiana books. I would think in any iteration it is probably rare. I've got a pretty substantial collection of ruby and cranberry stained pieces but nothing in this pattern. I can't imagine I would have run across it and passed on picking up at least a piece or two unless the ruby/cranberry was very worn.

The tumbler photo did bring to mind a large bowl, though, with a cranberry rim and a slash and circle pattern. It's something I may have seen in my travels over the years but it could be an entirely different pattern and I've found my memory increasingly unreliable. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
    Don

Mugzinnys likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

oh....the spammers are back !!!
    now if only amoxicillin wasn't my favorite broncitis med......
    I like the way they know to slink in when the mods are asleep.......:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why the shitstain bothers to put down that he's 40.....is beyond me !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted