Featured Trains and Cranes...

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Posting these in case there are train buffs here, and people interested in construction? They came as part of a job lot and are firmly stuck to album pages with no information. I'm in the UK.

Firstly, the trains: would love an idea of date, and what on earth is that man doing climbing a ladder to sit on the track??? Health and safety nightmare! :eek::eek::eek:

Train 1.jpg Train 1 close up.jpeg

Train 2.jpg Train 2 close up.jpg

Secondly, the cranes (from the same photo album): I can see 'Higgs & Hill' written on one of the cranes. They were a British construction company from mid 1870s, mostly London area (info here).

An idea of date might help identify where this is. Any thoughts? The photos are small, about 7 x 4.5 cm.

Cranes 1.jpg Cranes 2.jpg Cranes 6.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    cxgirl, Rayo56, KingofThings and 4 others like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The MET. engine is Metropolitan Railway, so probably London.
    The large building in the background pic #6 looks like the base of a cooling tower.

3. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Health and Safety nightmare - YES! He could be up there for a number of reasons (inspecting/repairing the girders or the missing panel)

Picture 5 is a bridging girder similar to the ones seen in the first 4 photos.

It's funny to see that we are still not erecting bridges or buildings much more different than we are today.

KingofThings and Batman_2000 like this.
  4. Batman_2000

Many thanks for the comments! Assuming this is a Metropolitan line train then I might be able to find which bridge this is :D.

And the bridging girder makes sense now too... I wonder if this was the construction of a London Railway station/line?

It's a shame the construction photos aren't clearer. Here's another one:
    Cranes 3.jpg

(daveydempsey - I thought it was a cooling tower when I first looked at it, too, but could it be the end of an unfinished building?)

AJefferson and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I'm guessing he's sitting so as to less likely be struck by something from the train as it passes. It's not all that usual for things to flail about off of cars.
    I called the RR once in S California when one went by with metal strapping flailing about and actually hitting the fence as it passed!
    Many people, illegally, walk the roadbed and its edge and this would've shredded them. :(

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    AJefferson and Batman_2000 like this.
  6. Batman_2000

Sounds terrible! I've had it drilled into me to stay well away from railway lines, but there's always someone willing to take chances. I had to walk along railway lines in London once, when our train broke down. Under strict supervision by rail staff of course :happy:.

I can't imagine anyone climbing up on a ladder like that these days - it doesn't look like the ladder was even tall enough :eek:. Is that a flag near the ground?

7. KingofThings

RR beds/property are illegal to be walked on but idiots do and are killed every year.
    ~
    It does look like a flag to 'warn' vehicles. Probably supposed to be operated by that other guy.
    Or it's there to impale the guy if he falls. :p

Batman_2000 likes this.
  8. KingofThings

I've used wooden ladders that large. VERY heavy to move about. :p

Batman_2000 likes this.
  9. Batman_2000

Made me laugh, though I know it shouldn't!!! :p:D

I think the train in photo 1 might be an A3 class LNER (similar to the Flying Scotsman), which dates to 1930s/40s:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 16.48.50.png
    (scroll down on this page)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's definitely coal-fired no matter what. I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with British steam to nail it down much. My first thought about the guy on the ladder is that he was scraping off the graffiti.:p:p:p

Batman_2000 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted