Transferware pattern ID

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GingerSnaps, Jul 14, 2019.

1. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

New to the forum here as I'm trying to ID a transferware pattern I found recently while bottle digging. I actually have several I'm trying to ID but will post this one first. I've found various shards of pottery at this site and have been able to ID other patterns as I've come across other pieces with the bottoms. However this one I've not found only the sides of what I'm not sure originally was. It seems to have small "knobs" on the sides as an indent and curved portion. All of the items I've ID date from the late 1800's to early 1900's here. TIA IMG_8099.jpg IMG_8098.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Whereabouts please. It helps!

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I can help much but those look like they could be chrysanthemum leaves.
    Don

4. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Eastern U.S. I'm pretty sure the pottery is from a company in England as most were from there with the exception of a few Haviland Limoge France pieces.

5. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

I thought so too and searched that and didn't find it :(.

i need help likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The pattern looks to be Japonism/aesthetic, which I imagine would date it 1870s - ‘80s.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've spent many long hours in archaeology labs trying to ID sherds. It's great fun but can take a long time.

While this isn't really what I'd call a cracked ice pattern, you might try it as a search term.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  8. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Thanks for the reply. I had a thought today too that it may be aesthetics but wasn't sure.

i need help likes this.
  9. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Oh how I'd love to have a job like that! I actually wanted to be an archaeologist when I was in the 7th grade. I wished I'd pursued that career. Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I can find. Also I noticed upon further inspection that the "knobby" part is actually another raised flower that's in that pattern. I wish I knew also what the piece originally was.

i need help likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Words for possible searches.
    Brown transfer ware
    Japonica
    Aesthetic (Already mentioned by More)
    Ironstone

i need help likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Not a professional job, as an avocational volunteer. In Virginia where I live there is a very robust program to train interested people and offer opportunities to work on projects with archaeologists. Here it's run by a joint group of three organizations; the State, the professional archaeologist's association and the archaeology association open to everyone. Some other states have similar programs. :)

12. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

I had tried all except japonica and came up with nothing. I looked briefly now using that word and don't see that pattern. I believe given it's the aesthetics most likely that the portions I found may be only on a portion of the piece and the rest has a different design so I'm looking at photos for that too. I'll keep searching..... I'm

i need help likes this.
  13. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it and see what I can find here. I used to live in VA btw....the northern area.

say_it_slowly and i need help like this.
  14. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

So, would this practice be called Shardology? :hilarious:;)

*crs* and kentworld like this.
  15. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

LOL yes good name!

i need help likes this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

You never mentioned the shard's size. If only an inch or so, then yes a very good chance that it is only a portion of the pattern and there may have been flowers or birds involved.

Try Minton with the other search words. I'm not saying it is, only that I have seen some with similar patterns.

17. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

Oops sorry didn't say the pattern/shard size. They are both roughly 2.5" wide and the flowers in the pattern are approx 3/4" wide

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  18. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

I have a few others I don't know whom made either. This next one is poppies and only a portion of a crown shows on the back. It has has an odd shape as it doesn't seem to be the regular saucer since it's deep and has the ridge on the bottom. I also found pieces of what was a little dish that I thought was really pretty. I've not tracked down that one either. The poppy piece is 3" and the blue/white dish is 4-1/2 wide for the biggest piece. I'd found another dish similar in style almost complete but I believe it's possibly from the 30's...not sure. I don't know what those little dishes would have been called. Anyone know?

poppy1.jpg poppy2.jpg bluedish.jpg

19. clutteredcloset49

I don't think that is a poppy. More like a wild rose with those thorns.
    The crown was used by several English companies.

There are several online sellers who specialize in Blue and White ironstone.
    Good luck - not going to be an easy job.

Bakersgma likes this.
  20. GingerSnaps

GingerSnaps Member

It does somewhat resemble a rose but I was just going by how I know poppies have little hairs along their stem and on the bud. I used to grow them in my garden awhile back (no longer have a house/rent). Also the little stamens in the middle of the blossom and the shape of the leaves. I still feel it's a poppy though. I found a D B & co. Florence pattern that is very similar flower wise....not the same pattern. Yes I saw that many English companies had the crowns and like you said it doesn't seem like it will be easy. Thanks for the well wishes and replies from you and everyone else. I will keep searching. I have one other option I thought of and that is I know where this pottery was mainly purchased so I've contacted the historical society to see if they have any old ledgers, catalogs or bill of sales. It may be a far stretch but it's just another avenue I thought of to track the elusive patterns down.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted