Featured Translate signature on Russian lacquer boxes?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Mar 22, 2020.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Signatures are tiny and pics are best I could do. Any help is appreciated.
    lacquerbox.JPG
    lacquerbox3.JPG
    Second box:
    lacquerround.JPG
    lacquerround2.JPG

lacquerround3.JPG
    This last one is worn a bit so maybe not possible to see.

komokwa, quirkygirl, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

vert nice.........1st one's charming..

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think they're both GREAT!!!! Here's an enlargement on the more worn mark on the second one! Might help whoever reads Russian.....

X3lacquerround3-edit.JPG

verybrad, Bronwen and Mugzinnys like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

And the upper mark from the Round image...........couldn't help it's still blurry!

X3lacquerround2-edit.JPG

5. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

First one: Kholui (village), Stepanov (artist's surname)
    Second one: "In the forest", Mstera (village).

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And the title of the first one is "Snow Maiden." ("Снегурочка") -- or so Google translate tells me.

kentworld, April07, verybrad and 5 others like this.
  7. April07

Thanks @Figtree3, somehow, I didn't notice the title, on the white background

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are both lovely!

verybrad likes this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

10. Figtree3

I like to help when I can, @April07 -- I knew you must have missed it, since your replies are always very complete. :)

komokwa, April07 and verybrad like this.
  11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Ooh me next!!!! I have like ten of these and was about to list some.

12. J Dagger

Any chance you’re can take a stab at these two. These were my least favorite of my bunch. Figured I would let them go first but would love some more info first if possible.
    39C2B4E7-DA8A-4668-83C3-09F48F7A2D8C.jpeg F3CBF2DB-52F0-4D00-8CE9-2B6CA7E31961.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Figtree3

I can make out almost nothing of the writing on the first one, due to glare and angle.

The second one says, from left to right: Palekh (the city where it was made); "Falcon Hunting" (title); and then the artist's name, either Kislin or Kislik surname followed by a first initial that I can't read.

Since you have a lot of these I'd like to recommend using a Russian keyboard (such as https://russian.typeit.org/ ) to type the letters you see, and then using Google translate or some other online translator to interpret. These boxes generally have three sections of writing. On the left is the city where made, in the middle in quotation marks is the title of the image, and on the right is the name of the person who painted the box. Normally they are factory employees, but not always. Some boxes have only one or two of the components mentioned. Some have none. And sometimes the three sections of writing are in a different order than what I mentioned above.

We can still try to interpret for you. @April07 is originally from Ukraine and so learned Russian long ago, and it is more native to her. I'm just an American native English speaker who took Russian in college. There are other native speakers here, but they come and go.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    kentworld, komokwa, J Dagger and 2 others like this.
  14. April07

The first one says "The song about the merchant..." and I assume the last word that is not readable is "Kalashnikov". This must be based on a poem of Mikhail Lermontov.

komokwa, J Dagger and Figtree3 like this.
  15. April07

komokwa, J Dagger and Figtree3 like this.
  16. J Dagger

Thanks for the advice and the translation!!! I recall none of the French I took in College. You obviously have a good memory or have stayed in practice. The first one is actually equally hard to see in person. Even under a loupe it’s hard to make out.

Figtree3 likes this.
  17. Figtree3

I was always good at languages, and loved studying Russian. Was always better at reading it and understanding spoken Russian than I was at speaking it myself. That was different from my experience in studying Italian for several semesters. I was more proficient at speaking Italian than reading it. I guess it was just the focus of the instruction and curriculum. Anyway, my career has been as an academic librarian working at universities mostly, and I had some chances to use the Russian there, at least minimally. Really, I seek out and welcome any chance I get, even now.

J Dagger and komokwa like this.
  18. J Dagger

What an interesting career that must be! Can’t think of too many cooler offices! I’m not bad at learning words so I can get the general idea of writing in Spanish and make out a tiny bit of writing in French. Speaking it and understanding people speaking fast is another story for me. Great that you have some opportunities to use it at a university!

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Cucuel

Cucuel Bookmark Memories LLC

Draft saved Draft deleted