Translation for oriental artist please

Discussion in 'Art' started by antidiem, Aug 15, 2015.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

CatFish1x.jpg
    I found this piece in Hilo, is it kirigami? It's finely cut, but I cannot read the very last part of the artist's name (symbol?) because it appears to be oriental.

Is the red, circular stamp called a "wufu"? idk?

I'm planning to have it reframed without an acidic mat, as I can see the browning from the mat board used. I believe the paper itself measures about 8.5" x 13" but I'm not sure how the black paper is attached, or if it's just laying on the surface in this position?

Could anyone please help me to research this?

Kunio . Abe ?

2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Abe is a Japanese last name I think

3. antidiem

Thank you Bev, I'd like to find out what the last symbol(?) after the "Abe" could mean?

I've never had a cut piece like this before and I don't want to take it out of the frame until I understand how it could be attached to the white paper background.

Is a form of kirigami or does it has another name?

4. antidiem

Is this a form of kirigami or does it have another name?

5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

maybe Kirie?

6. antidiem

Thanks cxgirl, the works I found when googling Kirie seem more "anime" than this one, which looks somewhat traditional to me, but it gives me another hint. Thanks to you and Bev for responding.
    *hearts*

cxgirl likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Is that the whole image? If not, can you show the whole image? Thanks

8. antidiem

Bev, I don't yet know how how the finely cut black paper is attached to the white backing paper (if it attached at all), so until I can find out more about this process and am ready to have it re-framed, I don't want to take it out to photograph it. All of my other photographs have so much reflection in them that you cannot really see the piece. It's just the rest of the cat's tail and the fish's tail. Thanks.

9. antidiem

Could someone please translate the character (or word?) farthest to the right?

Is the red stamp called a "wufu" or what?

10. Str8aloha

Str8aloha New Member

Aloha,
    Did you find out more about this artist?

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted