Trash or keepers (small vase & pair of statues) from local auction house

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Grateful, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Grateful

Grateful Well-Known Member

There is a local, super-informal auction house near us that runs an auction 2x a month. Sometimes good stuff, sometimes regular odds & ends. Yesterday was "clear out" day or something, and patrons could fill a box with items from a certain area of the building and all boxes started at $5. I filled with basic, decorative pots for my screened in porch, but at the last minute tossed these in. All the boxes went to their original fillers for $5, I think. Anyway, does anyone see any value in these, or should they make a trip to the local charity shop? They are quite heavy. One vase (5" tall, 2" wide) with markings (J.B. & 2118) and different figures around the vase, and a set of identical figurines with no markings (5" wide, 3-3/4" high.) Just did quick research on the vase and came up empty. As always, TIA for your taking a look.

vase1.JPG
    vase2.JPG

vase3.JPG

vase5.JPG

vase6.JPG

statues1.JPG

statues4.JPG

statues5.JPG

statues6.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the vase is nicely decorated and could use a polish...
    the other guys i just can't see well...but could maybe have had bases...as bookends???

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

JB is usually Jennings Brothers - at least here in the US.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The pictures of the pair of "not sure what" are to dark to see a good level of detail. Can we see brighter ones please?

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The vase looks like that late 19th century American Holland-inspired style. A nice example.

6. Grateful

7. Grateful

I'll give it a try....

i need help likes this.
  8. Grateful

After too much time this afternoon, here's the outcome. The 2 bookends (we'll call them) gave up TONS of grime with just warm water on a rag. Then I tried the smallest amount of Wright's in a gentle manner (as I saw some silver tone) and they just kind of fell apart. Loads of tarnish and then kind of a mess. I'll set aside and decide if I want to strip and do some funky paint or glaze - or just toss. Maybe I did something wrong. I'm new at this except for anything I know is silver plate. The vase didn't change all that much, but it's much cleaner and prettier, so my $5 investment turned out ok. AND, the flower pots cleaned up nicel

NOTE: as my husband and I have watched (not literally) this dry this evening, we can tell it's actually kind of a nice pewter is areas. Wright's is supposedly safe for pewter, so I'll chalk this mess up to age or operator error.

bookends.JPG
    vase9.JPG

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019