Featured Trash or Treasure Axe head I.D

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MR Treasure Hunter, Feb 26, 2020.

1. MR Treasure Hunter

MR Treasure Hunter Well-Known Member

I went for a walk through a woodlands just outside of London UK and I came across a very large uprooted old tree, the tree is at least 300 years old and under it I noticed an axe head made from iron and looks very old, its not in the best of condition. Here are some pictures of it.

Is it trash or treasure, would the museum be interested in it?

2020-02-26 10.36.37.jpg
    2020-02-26 10.36.59.jpg dfhfgh.png

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Great find. I wish I could come across something like that.

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Old broad axe or hewing axe maybe? I'm guessing it's not an uncommon item but don't know exactly what story it might tell.

You can ask your local museum or who is it you report archaeological finds to? Council of British Archaeology? Sometimes it's what something can tell you about an area that is more important than the item.

5. MR Treasure Hunter

Yeah it looks like its one of those axes. Thanks for those links I was thinking that the axe may have been around 500 years old but its 1900 sort of era so not that old. Its always nice finding things and researching the objects as it tells you a lot about the area. There must have been people chopping down trees for timber in those woods back in 1900 and maybe somebody lost there axe or perhaps it was dropped by one of the workers when WW1 kicked off. There seems to be a lot of WW1/WW2 history in that area. I've got a permission to metal detect in a field not far from the woodland hopefully I might find some more bits. I've been told that there is an 1880s dump in the area.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Suezq

Suezq Time ...tck tck tck..

7. MR Treasure Hunter

I do have a theory. Maybe somebody was chopping up some tree logs for fire wood and the air raid siren went off, maybe the axe got dropped in a panic as the person rushed off to get into there air raid shelter.

Its a pretty haunted woodland but ghosts don't scare me I find them quite fascinating. I often find many things in that woodlands, mainly old bottles and stoneware jars dating as far back to the Victorian times. There is an old man that can sometimes be spotted walking through the woods in a certain area dressed in 1940s clothing carrying a Tilly lamp and you can see the orange glow of that Tilly lamp moving through the woodland appearing as a glowing orb after dark. I've seen it a few times.

Draft saved Draft deleted