Featured Trash Score!!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Mar 24, 2023.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Don’t forget to check those intriguing trash piles folks. I was driving around my neighborhood one night last week on trash day looking for an empty flatscreen television box to ship some artwork in. A house that I noticed was for sale previously had a massive pile outside their home. Nothing looked good from the car but I decided to get out. Right on top of the pile was an ultra rare rock band tshirt from the late 70’s.There was a cool piece of 70s luggage. Can’t recall what else but there was a huge bag of clothes. Looked and it was all ladies didn’t look exciting but decided to take it home in case there were more band shirts. No more but tons and tons of clean very, very 80’s design stuff that will sell. I never did find the box so I went out looking again last night. Same house lots more stuff. First I see mostly paperbacks. Then a box of 1960’s blow mold Halloween decorations.Then a basically brand new NFL jersey. 70’s TWA carry on bag. Two more huge bags of clothes. Reach in and find an Elton John 80’s tour shirt. Gucci scarf. Another Elton John 80’s tour shirt. 80’s cartoon twin sheet sets as crisp and bright as when new. Super rare Star Wars beach towel from 80’s. Took the bags home and found 8 Elton John tour tees from mid 70’s - 80’s. A mid 80’s Prince tour shirt mint condition basically. Plus at least 50 mostly very clean and sharp 70s/80s tshirts. A bunch with cool local interest. If I had the space I would have taken every bag and box home to make sure I didn’t miss anything but alas some had to stay. Both times everything had clearly already been gone through by at least one other party. I can’t believe the stuff they left behind. I can only imagine what they took that I never got to see. If that was the chaff just imagine the wheat.

After is all pieced out it should easily be over 1k. It was a mega vintage score. I almost want to go knock on the door and ask if I can look at what else they are getting rid of but that would probably be creepy. I guess I’ll have to set an alarm for trash day next week.

Edit: I also found my empty tv box I needed so badly!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Owliza, kentworld, bluumz and 16 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

OMG, score!!! Vintage t shirts, esp from known bands can sell in the hundreds per shirt. PHOTOS NEEDED of the Halloween Blow Molds. You may have gotten more than 1K in this haul here. Those shirts may have actually been "the wheat". I'd love to see the Prince shirt. What a find! And all FREE. Amazing!

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

madness....
    whomever tossed that to the curb..... I'd like to toss them on the pile...

disrespect the value of concert t's.........at yer own peril....

good on you , Dagger !!!!!!!

cxgirl, Aquitaine and J Dagger like this.
  4. komokwa

didja get the EJ Versace shirt.....
    I'll be buried in mine !!!!!

5. J Dagger

yep. The green one with 1 in middle front. That was the latest one. So I guess that was 90 or 91. Earliest was 76’!

edit: it’s funny I went to the Farewell tour a few years ago and got a vintage looking shirt. Now I have a full collection of actual vintage EJ. None of them are super my style but I’ll prob hang onto at least one as I collect concert tees.

cxgirl, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  6. J Dagger

DC72FFE4-BDD7-4B6F-AD92-127C91259094.jpeg
    Tell me about it!!! This may be the wheat but I’d be very curious to see what the other pickers considered the good stuff. Prince & Revolution is 85’ world tour shirt in black. May be worth like $500 on its own. I don’t have a photo yet but there’s one on eBay you can see. 1k was conservative ish. It could certainly be higher. I actually have to move soon and was trying desperately not to bring anything else home before the move. I’ve been a good boy for weeks and haven’t bought. When you get this handed to you for free you can’t turn it down though. The Halloween stuff isn’t amazing but it’s cool and should be an easy $100. Possibly 70s rather than 60s, I didn’t really confirm the production date, just guesstimated.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No matter what, you're in profit on this one. They tossed a PRINCE shirt, for pete's sake? I can think of three friends who'd have that up on a wall. Put some of those shirts up for auction and there's gonna be a catfight. Check the black ones for dry rot though - just in case. The black ones always go bad first.

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great story! Well done :)

J Dagger, bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I am very jealous. well done, well done.

J Dagger and bercrystal like this.
  10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Congrats, JD!! I haven't been out picking in a long while, but soon people here in the US are going to be doing their spring cleaning, getting their houses cleared out to sell, getting their garages tidied up, and tossing all of their treasures to the curb!

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

People are idiots.

Dealer friend was almost weeping today. Young couple had moved into a house full of stuff and skipped the damn lot. He'd rescued one wonderful Georgian cabinet. Too big for him to sell or even keep, so bless his heart, he was donating it to a local charity to refurbish and sell.

Hooligans.

12. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I have been known to dig through random bags on the curb, if they look worthwhile.
    My sister saw EJ in 1976, Pittsburgh. I wonder if she still has the t-shirt.
    Good score!

13. evelyb30

ARGGH! Around here I'd hope the would have at least called the ReStore to come take it all away, where I could at least drool on it when it hit the floor. If it hit the floor.

J Dagger and bercrystal like this.
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

congrats on your score JD:) So glad you took the time to have a look and save all those treasures from the dump:)

15. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Nice haul!! :happy::happy::happy: :greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy:

I would just like to say, & I do believe many others here would agree with me, there is nothing worse than seeing a potential treasure pile at a time when there is no way you can stop even for a quick look-see. :arghh::arghh::arghh::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

J Dagger, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

I've too driven past what looks like I should investigate,,,,,
    then quickly realized I was not paying attention to the road........:eek::eek::eek::eek::jawdrop:

J Dagger, pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I saw EJ back in the 80s. Frankly, I've never been a fan (other than Rocket Man, which was the first 45 I ever bought), but I won tickets from a local radio station.
    Been there, done that, didn't buy the T-shirt. :facepalm:

Congrats on your find, what a haul!!

J Dagger and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. J Dagger

Noted, didn’t realize that on black shirts. I was/am a big Prince fan. Only got to see him one time. He headlined a night of Coachella the last year I worked it with my friends coffee vending biz. I was planning to catch him on his next area appearance when he passed. He is a huge legend but I think still under appreciated overall. A real musical genius IMO.

19. evelyb30

Purple Rain was THE album when I was 18. I never got to see him live, but did watch the Superbowl half time and still think his was the best ever. When told it was raining he asked them if they could make it rain harder.(LOL) God was on the FX crew for the night!

komokwa likes this.
  20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Loved Prince. I have one of his cassette tapes here.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted