Treacle Glazed Cat Jug...18/19thc ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by norman warbreck, Apr 7, 2021.

1. norman warbreck

norman warbreck Well-Known Member

Hi everyone
    I was hoping that someone would know the origins of this scary piece. It is ceramic and I would think more continental than English. It has some damage but for its age its ok.
    Height : 28,5cm High ( 11,5 in )
    Many thanks for looking IMG_20210407_121537.jpg IMG_20210407_121537.jpg IMG_20210407_121543.jpg IMG_20210407_121549.jpg IMG_20210407_121554.jpg IMG_20210407_121603.jpg IMG_20210407_121613.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

I can't help much, but I think it's an owl.

3. norman warbreck

Oh Gosh...I really did say Cat...Where was my head this morning...eekkk!

4. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Really difficult one. I thought of Whieldon ware but it looks to be too thickly potted. Looks very early. Image search brings up nothing like it. Will keep trying. I had something vaguely similar that turned out to be East European. Which country did it turn up in?

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  6. John Brassey

KSW, komokwa and say_it_slowly like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

LOL but what is it?

John Brassey and komokwa like this.
  8. norman warbreck

Wow! thank you so much and i do think they are from the same studio. The handle slightly different but the clay same as and taking away the colour around the eyes one sees the same moulding on the brow. The ears also bent forward and on the gullet the same raised, can we call it *chicken neck* lol
    Being out of action as I got a foot infection from gardening but on the mend. Once again thanks so much.

John Brassey likes this.
  9. John Brassey

The question is, was the auctioneer right? Haven’t been able to find anything like it from Fremington

10. norman warbreck

Since the last post i have done a search.....but found zero as I would think not many of these survived. Anyway I would hazard a guess that a reference book on that pottery would give a concise answer.

John Brassey likes this.
  11. say_it_slowly

I don't know if you had access to what that auctioned piece sold for but it went for £1,000 back in 2014 with a rather iffy identification.

Aquitaine and John Brassey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted