Featured Treasures from The Deep : Part 6: Is this amber maybe? xx

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Jun 11, 2020.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

This is the box EEEKKK
    ( it is a cutlery box maybe? It's 11 inches across and 6 and a half down )
    [​IMG]

This one is weird: it feels like amber, it looks like amber...but it has weird rings on it which look painted on,but aren't.
    It's 20 ish inches x
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am sure that at least one of these is merely glass,possibly both...are they trying to be angelskin coral?

The smaller one feels organic..but the colour bothers me.
    [​IMG]

This is the one I am sure is glass...it's long,28 ish inches and knotted. No clasp
    [​IMG]

This is the shorter one ( 14 inches) ... no idea what this is.
    Don't think it's glass but WDIK? The clasp looks to be silver.
    It's strung on silver wire.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These were in it too,( they are an inch on average but all different so hard to tell)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bronwen, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. BoudiccaJones

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've got those brown beads, never have quite decided what they are. Pink ones look porcelain.

4. BoudiccaJones

Thanks Mrs B!
    The pink ones I thought were glass, or the smaller ones? xx

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love the box, Bou.:)
    I agree, the pink beads look like porcelain. I am pretty sure the brown beads are celluloid, nice old clasp. The yellow beads look ceramic to me.

KSW, Bronwen, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The mottled ones honey, the chip shows it.

Any Jewelry, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

The yellow ones do look ceramic, thank you xx

Ahh...never would have thought of that! Off to have a clunk of 'em,thank you xx

Never would have thought of celloid! I've had celluloid dollies so I should have thought of it...many thanks xxx

8. BoudiccaJones

The weird stripy one flouresces under my black light,I'll try and take pics xxx

9. BoudiccaJones

Cuz @Bronwen .... this brooch you thought was coral? I think you're right. It goes blue under my light...blue spiky

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. BoudiccaJones

Imma try and take pics later today xx
    THANK YOU for your help,and how perceptive xxx

11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think this argues against my position (what doe 'blue spiky' mean?), although no idea what it does mean. The black spots I thought could be the kind of natural damage seen on coral could be scars from hot needle tests.

I took my UV torch to the jewellery chest where I have some coral & it did not go blue, although it returned the purple in quite a vivid way. Discovered that cultured pearls that also live in those drawers glow a nice shade of light blue, the freshwater ones were fainter. Also learned that some of the pearls in a necklace of branch coral, MOP disks & what I always assumed were artificial pearls has some genuine pearls in it. :)

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

Gosh even more confused now...it was blue spikey bits, like in bits not an all over glow. ( maybe it was purple)
    Just looked online to see if that was a proper reaction and now...still don't know . All I can see are fish tanks with blacklight trained on 'em and they glow a bit but that's probably intentional .

( I don't think the pits are testing pits )

I shall take a pic in the morning as you'll have much more idea than me ( thank you for your help xx) and I'll try and get a better picture of it as is...thank you Cuz <3

Bronwen likes this.
  13. BoudiccaJones

Ooh lovely! Real pearls where you didn't know <3 love when thing s like that happen xx

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My best UV discovery is here as a thread somewhere. I asked for the community's input because a green stone in a silver brooch that I had dismissed as glass turns a deep red in the UV light. Conclusion was that it really is the chrome tourmaline it was auctioned as. Beyond Alexandrite Glass

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  15. BoudiccaJones

Cor,that was interesting...cannot wait for my torch to turn up now.This light is a big plug in thing which is good but not maneuverable. Wanna walk around in the dark looking for glowy things. That was a lovely surprise for you,Cuz!

(I am LOLLING at Greg's shop story . Om goodness...how strange *we* must appear to Norms)

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted