Treating carved walnut ~

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Drew, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Looking for opinions on the treatment of an unfinished walnut carving. Its about 30 years old & a bit dry. Considered leaving it as is or applying some oil based product like feed & wax. I know wood loves oil and dry wood can eventually develop cracking, but after testing a spot on reverse, it will be noticeably darker after any type of oil is applied. Other ideas ? s-l1600 (42).jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    judy likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

You could apply a thin coat of clear wax, maybe?

3. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Wood, particularly a piece that large and thick, will continue to respond to changes in relative humidity no matter what you coat it with. Oils and waxes can slow down moisture transmission, but not prevent it. So, if you decide to apply a finish you run the risk of noticeably changing the character of the piece, without achieving the goal of preventing it from cracking. A better approach might be to find a place in your house that is a relatively stable environment, away from extremes of dry heat and sunlight.
    I would also add that the idea of "feeding" wood is only a sales pitch. Wax and oils can create a more attractive surface, but cannot penetrate the wood cells sufficiently to alter the moisture content or transmission significantly.

judy, Jeff Drum, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Thanks to all - If I go with an oil, it'll likely be a better oil such as pure tung oil. I'll do tests on the back of the piece & even try just real paste wax to see what the results are - my other goal is to bring out the beauty of the walnut.

2manybooks, komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted