Treen Case Apothecary Jar - Age?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wildrose, Sep 13, 2017.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

Any idea on the age of this treen case apothecary jar? is that even what it is? LOL thanks folks, you're the best! 5 3/4" tall, the lid screws on. apothecary.jpg apothecary2.jpg

AJefferson and komokwa like this.
  2. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

It could have held a number of things but undoubtedly whatever it was needed to be kept out of the light so very possibly medicine. The key to dating it will be the bottle. This site gives a lot of info on that and if I have time in a bit I will try to put a close date on it. Where the mold seam stops on the shoulder tells you a lot. https://sha.org/bottle/

3. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I've seen a lot of ink bottles with wooden ware cases just like yours. Treen or wood traveling ink bottle search brings up some similar on google.

4. buyingtime777

Is the bottom of the bottle perfectly smooth or is there a roughness or signs off a rough area having been sanded off in the center?

5. buyingtime777

6. wildrose

the bottom is indented but smooth, there are two seems up the sides only, which end at the base of the neck. apothecary3.jpg

7. buyingtime777

It was made in a "cup bottom" mold. https://sha.org/bottle/cupbase.jpg

Quote from aforementioned site: Cup-bottom molds were used to produce just about any type or class of mouth-blown bottles, with the majority of use made between the mid to late 1880s and late 1910s when automatic machines dominated the bottle making market. As noted, cup-bottom molds continued to be the mold type of choice on automatic bottle machines also (Toulouse 1969b). However, similar to so many other aspects of historic bottle dating, there are exceptions or variations based on the type or style and even size of bottle. This is covered in a separate green box section immediately below entitled - Bottle Type & Base Related Dating Notes.

This is my conclusion so far, still studying...

AJefferson, KingofThings and wildrose like this.
  8. buyingtime777

I think that 1880-1910 is a pretty accurate date range. I will put a link to the page that info was on and you can study a bit and see if you feel differently. A ways down the page you will see the cup bottom mold on the left and you will be able to compare to other mold bottoms and make your own judgement. :)
    https://sha.org/bottle/bases.htm#Mouth-blown bottles

9. wildrose

so very helpful thank you so much!!

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

In my opinion the covers were nothing to do with lightl protection, dark blue or other coloured glass would do that, but for safety when travelling. Rough roads were the rule in those days. Could be for ink, I suppose, but it would be a year's supply and pocket inkwells existed that were much smaller. I'd place it in a doctor's bag filled with one of the remedies of the period, which I agree is around 1900.

Draft saved Draft deleted