Featured Trench art shells

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by coreya, Oct 23, 2017.

1. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Here are a couple that I found at a local Thrift shop and cost all of 3 bucks!
    100_0337-1.jpg 100_0343-1.jpg 100_0346-1.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice find.....for the price of a cup of joe !!!!!

judy, AJefferson and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

judy and AJefferson like this.
  4. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I wish these things could tell their story's !!!:cigar::cigar:

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Indeed.....

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Probably never seen the inside of a trench since they were made.

Trench art is commonly defined as any decorative item made by soldiers, prisoners of war or civilians, where the manufacture is directly linked to armed conflict or its consequences.
    Common articles that this includes are decorated shell and bullet casings and items carved from wood and bone.
    To the uninitiated, all trench art, by definition, was made by a soldier sitting in a trench in France during the First World War, in the midst of a bombardment. To the cynics, it was all made in the 1920s by enterprising French and Belgian citizens. The reality is, naturally, a mix of these extremes, and everything in between, and spans conflicts from the Napoleonic Wars to the present day.

judy, AJefferson and RinTinTin like this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Both German 77mm field gun cases, top one fired and bottom one unfired. Someone found a live round and took the projectile out and dumped the propellant. Primer is still live unless someone disarmed it from inside of the case which is quite possible, you should be able to tell by looking in with a decent flashlight. The end of a live primer will be sealed with wax, varnish, something like that.

judy and KingofThings like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or.....just bang at the bottom center with a hammer and punch !!
    Wooopie !!!!

terry5732, judy, AJefferson and 2 others like this.
  9. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Checked both and they both look the same but I agree it looks unfired! Perhaps I'll do a video starting with those famous red neck words "Hey yall watch this!" :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

10. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

11. RinTinTin

RinTinTin Well-Known Member

People here back in the '70 often had shells - we had them at home (Flanders Fields region) as well - in their living room and often behind their windows as well. It was really popular. Almost all of it was WWI related.

You don't see that these days. It has become rare.

A shitload of bombs (300 ton a year) still reach the surface every year and the farmers just put them on the side of their fields.

12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

charlie cheswick likes this.
  13. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

I love these... I bet they have some weight, and history of course. Can't grumble about the price, either!

Hope you don't mind me sharing, but it reminded me that we have one tucked on a shelf, filled with ticket stubs and used stamps etc (haha!). It came from my grandparent's house. Dated 1907...

P1140520.JPG

P1140521.JPG

14. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

There's some beautiful artistic work out there with these shells, hard to believe what can be done with basic tools in times of boredom. I've put them up on fleabay as I've got to clear stuff out not accumulate! Thanks all for the comments!:cigar::cigar:

judy, komokwa and Batman_2000 like this.
  15. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

You're right, they are works of art :). You're also right about not accumulating stuff... I do my best... but still have shelves full of it all :happy:.

Good luck with fleabay!!!

judy and komokwa like this.
  16. AntiqueAndy

AntiqueAndy Member

Very nice.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted