Featured Tribal necklace identification help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Vesuvia, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

hello all, I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me what kind of necklace this might be, or maybe what it was used for. It’s a very unusual piece, and I believe it is African. Each of the little wooden pins is wrapped in metal with what looks like inscriptions all around them. The wood looks like it’s been made to look like people with burned out eyes. Additionally, each wooden pin has a hole carved into it with something inserted into the hole. It’s weight is substantial and I believe it to be an antique. Any help or a point in the right direction to resources for more info would be greatly appreciated! Cheers! 7740DA89-7473-4935-9459-B35AB1F76ABA.jpeg 13EB986F-2E08-4323-BB4F-3C3BE2B1FC4E.jpeg A8B30D8C-6DA7-4DFE-B672-4D64B4B47931.jpeg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Vesuvia, @2manybooks may be able to help you, she has been tagged.

3. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Thank you! For the welcome and for passing along the word. Cheers!

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Hello Vesuvia. It does look African, but I have not seen anything quite like it. It might be related to some types of North African amulet necklaces, which have verses from the Quran encased in little leather packets. Or it may be some other sort of charms. But I will need to do some research. If you have a magnet, can you tell me if any of the beads or wire are magnetic (and thus made of iron)? Can you characterize the material inserted into the wooden beads? - is it fabric, or paper, or is it some sort of granular material? I will try to get back here later today.

5. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Hello! Thank you so much! I’ve had this piece for a year and have taken it to several places, but no one has been able to tell me much about it, beyond they did not believe it was a piece that was ever intended for export; oh!, and that it wasn’t a shamanic necklace (as was my first thought).

My neodymium magnet instantly attracts the metal spacer beads, and quite strongly at that; but, not the silver tone (I’m guessing tin? Lead? It’s definitely not silver, as confirmed with acid testing) nor copper wrapped pieces. And, to tell you the truth, I’m not so sure I really want to go digging in the holes to check the contents...the leather on this piece, in all honesty, looks like it might just very well perhaps be human...upon closer examination....

I can tell you that whatever is in the holes looks to be organic, like pulp, wood pulp maybe? Almost looks like malt o meal. I will try to take a few closer images of these things I am now noticing...

6. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

SIDEBAR: @2manybooks , please accept my apologies for any past incidents where I have addressed you with an incorrect pronoun.

The things you learn on these forums. :hilarious:

7. 2manybooks

The contents are probably some sort of "medicine", then, not any kind of scripture. No need to dig around in it further. The iron beads makes me more confident it is African. I am hunting for similar wire wrapped wooden beads, but so far have only found a simpler example from the Luo:
    [​IMG]
    https://anthro.amnh.org/collections

i need help and Xristina like this.
  8. 2manybooks

No worries. :) If we didn't want a certain amount of anonymity we would all just use our real names. I am still not sure about many of you :rolleyes:, but I suppose I could check your bio info if it seemed important.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious:
    Just stick with me, you'll be fine.:playful:

i need help, KSW, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know the first thing about it, other than I have not previously seen the like, but those beads look like antler to me?

i need help and kyratango like this.
  11. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

12. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

And here Rae the last of the photos. My goodness, this could either be wonderfully ghastly, or horribly ghastly. I don’t know how I feel about it all yet! <waits patiently for something ghastly>. Thank you all for looking. O_O

4DAD7DCA-2B7C-446B-80C6-03AD757B3724.jpeg 7CA32226-C15C-4D90-A7FC-9E3DF1536716.jpeg B06AED9F-1344-40B0-85A4-E823E7AB09F9.jpeg

13. Jivvy

what's the general size range of the pieces?

14. 2manybooks

Great photos, Vesuvia, and excellent description of the metals used. I think the problem with a precise identification may be that such things were an individual's talisman, and could be idiosyncratic rather than typical of a tribal "style". But I will keep looking.
    The wrapped beads look like wood, and the leather with hair still attached is typical of African minimally tanned skins.

i need help, kyratango and Vesuvia like this.
  15. Jivvy

i need help, kyratango and Vesuvia like this.
  16. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

The wood/bone/wrapped pieces vary in length from 1”-1.5”. The necklace itself is approx. 24” long, although I have not braved untying the unknown-origin leather tie. DED347F5-C2D7-40EE-8478-31533B51BE43.jpeg

i need help, kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  17. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Upon warming the beads, there is clearly a woodsy smell, so maybe not so ghastly after all :D

KSW, i need help and kyratango like this.
  18. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Active Member

Very nice. I appreciate all of you and your input. I’ve been fascinated with this necklace for a year now and appreciate the info. The iron/metal bits make the most soothing tinkling sound when jostled about. Excellent weight to it as well. Thank you all for looking at my find :)

More to come! And my gosh, do I wish I had found this forum sooner! Everyone is so knowledgeable and I just adore, adore, adore jewelry! Cheers!

KSW, komokwa, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The shape of the pegs and wrapping reminds me of fertility dolls. Very nice, Enjoy! :)

20. Jivvy

Okay, I thought I might be stretching for similarities, but since you said that.

There is an Ethiopian fertility necklace.

temp02.jpg

Probably not related. Sometimes a piece of wood is just a, wait no, what.

KSW and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted