Tribal Tool ?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by bosko69, Mar 25, 2023.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Had this for a while-anybody out there know what it is ? It's 16" long & seems to have been mounted as a tourist piece a while back-no marks at all on reverse Trib1.jpg Trib2.jpg Trib3.jpg .Thanks much.

komokwa and sabre123 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

not a clue......
    a clue though might come from the weaving ..... pacific islands maybe ?

it looks like a tent pole to be pounded into the ground.......
    maybe a marker of sorts....

it doesn't look like a weapon......but I wouldn't want to get poked in the eye with it either...:eek:

Boland likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Are those 4 STAPLES in the weaving??? Looks pretty Dastardly to me.....

4. bosko69

Yep staples-done to mount the rattan to the frame.There used to be a label on the back of the piece & damned if I didn't chuck it when i rebacked it w/ foam core.
    The 'doohickey' looks old,though in the humid Tropics things things age,mildew & rot so fast,patina's tough to determine.I can't find any staples or screws in the actual object.

5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

No idea. Yes,maybe a tribal tent or corner peg/stake? Used by some nomadic tribe? (or else the obvious thing that’s for vampires) Interesting odd thing.

6. bosko69

Almost looks like a weaving/looming thing to me,but who knows ?

7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Don't recognize it off hand, but I have some observations and additional questions. It looks like the top is slightly conical. Is there any evidence of it having been struck on the top? If not, it seems unlikely that the pointed bottom section was designed to be driven into the ground, or anything else. The bottom section does not look like a comfortable handle, either, so it might be meant to be inserted into a larger object, sort of like a finial.

Are the cords at the top and bottom of the ball used to attach it to the display board (and not necessarily part of the original function)?

Can you post a photo of the bottom end of the smaller object (arrow shaft?) mounted behind it?

8. bosko69

@2manybooks Here's a few more pics.The wrappings around the tool aren't attached to the mount board.The Needle/Spear tip is dull (ie: crochet needle),& the top doesn't appear to have been hammered into place-perhaps snugged into a socket by hand.
    Spear1.jpg Spear2.jpg Spear3.jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted