Tridacna Gigas, estimated costings?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by James Girdler, Jan 27, 2021.

1. James Girdler

James Girdler New Member

Hello,

I hope everyone's well.

I wanted to ask a question - how long is a piece of string - type of a question. I am looking to purchase a giant clam shell - around 24" width, 18" deep x 8" height - real genuine shell, not a resin cast. A friend of mine has one and I don't want to offer anything insulting. I have seen them range from £140 - £2000, depending mainly on size and type and condition. So I would have thought it would be rather pricey. I originally thought up to £800, but it depends really as most are auction houses, so would be taking a percentage into account.

Based on those dimensions and a verbal visual description as - very good condition - what sort of price might it be worth?

Thanks all,

Best,
    Jim

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Jim

It would help if you would provide some photos. If you get the too large error, try emailing them to yourself as size "Medium" My experience with most modern auction houses is that price is the sold price and there is a percentage tacked on that the buyer pays to the auction house called the "Buyer's Premium" or such. That is not generally included in the sell price usually listed. Members generally do not do valuation, but they may help you determine the quality of the piece or source sold prices. I can't help you because I don't know about this type of item, but @Scott Eidam found one Tridacna Gigas Shell | Antiques Board . (antiquers.com) Perhaps, he knows something.

James Girdler and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Jim.
    Looks like you have already done your homework, and found the price range.
    If you want an expert opinion, maybe it is best to find a forum or site devoted to shells. This forum deals with antiques, which are man-made.;)
    True.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Jim and WELCOME!!! I remember buying one for my brother back in the 90's for around $200. or so.....and about the same size as I remember.....in a nautically oriented shop in Provincetown, Cape Cod....but that's about 30 years ago....have they increased in value....that I cannot answer....

KikoBlueEyes and James Girdler like this.
  6. James Girdler

James Girdler New Member

Thanks all, much appreciated. Best, Jim

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've had almost exactly the same experience; bought two in the 90s, 18-24" and I suspect mine were less than $100; but prices do seem to have increased, and are quite variable. I'd check completed ebay listings and the shell forum mentioned above.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted