Triplet George Washington Textile Stitchwork

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by kev235, Aug 29, 2018.

1. kev235

kev235 Member

IMG_5749.JPG IMG_5747.JPG IMG_5748.JPG Hello. This is quite large approx 2.25 ft wide and 8 inches tall. How old is this and is it valuable? Thank you IMG_5745.JPG IMG_5745.JPG IMG_5746.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

framer did a poor job...covering the stars.....nice but looks like craft work....
    I vote...of little value !

Aquitaine, judy, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think this may be 1976 bicentennial. Frames look very similar to what was available at that time.

As for the fabric - looks like trapunto(spelling). Home crafter needlework was very popular in the 70s.

Value at this point minimal. Bicentennial items have not become collectible yet.

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Very likely from the Bicentennial.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

The frames were joined at a later date, that type of picture hanger is newer.

Just curious if these are family items?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. kev235

kev235 Member

No these are not family items. Do you think bicentennial items will become valuable soon. Is this worth $50 now?thanks

judy likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The Bicentennial was a terrible period for design. (Purple petunias everywhere. Ugh.) Just my opinion but... I think it would be difficult to find a buyer for your item. Colonial decor has fallen far out of favor and unlikely to return to popularity.

Debora

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

You'd be lucky to get $5 for the lot at a yard sale, and if you did someone would be buying them for the frames. Most Bicentennial pieces aren't worth much.

judy likes this.
  10. clutteredcloset49

Sorry, not anywhere near that.

Taken off that thing holding them together and sold individually, maybe $2 each, and you'd be lucky to sell 1 or 2 of the little pictures.

i need help and judy like this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Might have been made overseas since the “tree” in the middle one looks more like a cactus than the Prunus Serotina allegedly felled by George.

i need help likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Maybe they will get some attention at the 250th anniversary in 2026? Just found out that anniversary has some odd names applied to it. Sestercentennial seems to be the main one, according to the table in this Wikipedia article. Some of the others they list sound odd, too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anniversary

13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Being honest now, most people will see these things as kitsch. I think your only hope of getting more than $5. Is to find someone who collects bicentennialiana.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted