Truchas NM Carved Wood Figurine-Song Bird Woman-Billy Ortiz 1990

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by jakatch, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

P1010020.jpg
    P1010022.jpg P1010023.jpg P1010027.jpg This figurine is 12 1/2" high and is signed on the base in ballpoint: 'Song Bird Woman Billy Ortiz, Truchas N.M. 1990'.
    This looks like a Hopi woman from the hairstyle and I'm wondering if the figurine depicts one of the creation myths.
    I can't find an artist with the name 'Billy Ortiz' anywhere online or any similar carvings from Truchas where this was bought in the 1990's.
    Any information on the artist or figurine would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post here...please feel free to correct me if I've done anything wrong!

Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

She is beautiful, wonderfully carved, leaving much of the wood as it is.
    The hairstyle you are referring to is that of Hopi girls, it changes when they become a woman. The shape is inspired by butterfly wings, as you can see in the picture below. The hairstyle of your Song Bird Woman looks like curled braids.
    This is a Hopi girl with butterfly whorls:
    [​IMG]

Aquitaine, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd suggest contacting any one of a dozen SW Galleries.....any good ones will know...

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

Thanks for the input Komokwa and Any Jewelry. She is beautifully carved. I love that from the side she almost looks ready to take off in flight with the bird.
    That's a good idea about the galleries...I'll find one in Truchas to contact.

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  5. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Truchas is located on the High Road to Taos, and is a very small, rural Spanish community. There was a time, not too long ago, when it was an area best avoided by non-locals. A lot of changes have taken place there since 1990. Like in Cordova, Chimayo, and other small villages between Santa Fe and Taos, there are a number of wood carvers who live there. Most specialize in santos and bultos in the Spanish Colonial art heritage, but there are also some doing more contemporary work, in a number of different art categories. You might find someone in Truchas who was there in the 1980s/1990s who would be familiar with this carver.

There is an on line guide to the annual "High Road Art Tour" which lists contact numbers of local artists. Possibly a fellow woodworker would be the most likely to know something about this artist.

Also, you might want to check out the "High Desert Journey: High Road to Taos" web site, that has background information on the villages. Keep in mind, this part of New Mexico is not Native American, it's Hispanic, dating back to the Spanish Colonial era, and while the subject of the art here may be a Hopi woman, the artist is not. It's a distinction the locals are sensitive about.

Aquitaine, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  6. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

Thanks Taupou...I appreciate that with the 'Ortiz' name we are looking at a hispanic artist and not a native american. Being from Central America myself I understand the sensitivity.
    I will check out the web sites recommended.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It could also be worthwhile asking if this is inspired by a local singer. The woman is not only holding a bird, but she appears to be singing. The bird could be a reference to her beautiful voice.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

She is singing and it would make sense that it is referencing her beautiful voice with the title of the piece being, 'Song Bird Woman'.
    I've sent off an email to a Truchas gallery and will let you know what they have to say.

judy, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

I heard back from the gallery I contacted in Truchas. They say that Billy Ortiz has died and that he also did line drawings. No info on the figurine though.
    Thanks for all your replies to this. Appreciate all the ideas and will dig a bit more before listing.

Bakersgma, Taupou, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update!

11. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

It looks very much like the wood is diamond willow which I did not know grew in the southwest US. Lots here in Western Canada. Nice piece.

12. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

I think they use cottonwood for the carvings in New Mexico and I believe this is a willow. That may explain the similarities.

Draft saved Draft deleted