trying to appraise and sell a sword collection

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ruskoinabiscuit, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Hi, I have a sword collection with around 20 pieces in it. Over a decade ago it was said to be appraised hovering around 25k. I did have two swords appraised by an antique roadshow sword expert and he said the two I showed were worth $800 a piece (like 4-5 years ago). I have found a local certified appraiser but they said it's going to be around 500-800 to get the collection appraised. Is this too much? They have options (not guarantees) to sell it via an auction. I've heard of other big auction houses like cristies, but I'm not sure how the expected value of the set would be considered. What is the best way to go about this? Should I pay to get it appraised then go through their options (if available) or try to go through another route? I just don't want to get taken advantage of but I've never sold anything or this magnitude. Thanks in advanced.

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

IF I'm remembering correctly, you can get an estimated appraisal from someone like Christie's, but go through it very carefully in just HOW they want to list it with the 'reserve' and all....that part CAN be tricky.....and be sure to talk to someone....send the right area of interest GOOD images, find out what charges might be involved!! It's explained on their website too.....they ARE doing a lot of 'ONLINE' only auctions now as well.....but it's been years since I've sold anything with them....others may have different things to say!!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Your local appraiser is certified. I'm not sure what that means when it comes right down to it. What qualifies him to assess swords? Are these military issue?

If you told him you have 20 swords, the price he quoted you is only $25 - 40 per sword, completely reasonable, especially if some of them are worth $800/ea.

Were these swords already a collection when you bought them? Or did you acquire them one at a time?

komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

I would think a lot would depend on what type of swords you have .. Fraternal, Civil War, Imported, etc.

Bronwen likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I just don't want to get taken advantage of

Really ?
    Who does ???

Pay the money.....get written appraisals .....prices could have gone up or down in the past 10 years.....

then find..( search) an auction house that deals in the type of items you have....& check past auctions for realized sale prices..

Bronwen likes this.
  6. I’m honestly don’t know a lot about the collection. I do know they are mostly from the middle east and Africa, but that’s about it… which is why I’d like an appraisal because I’d like to know more about them and the value

7. The appraiser was almost reluctant to give a written appraisal. He was saying that those are more for insurance or legal purposes, and that a verbal appraisal would be all that I need and that it would be on file and that I could look at it any time. Idk about this which is why I’m asking. I’ve never had anything appraised or sold so I’m kind of lost on how to proceed.

8. The swords were already a collection and were a gift to my wife years ago from an antiques store owner that was her friend. Besides being certified, he has some swords in the past - but beyond that I’m not sure what other qualifications he may or may not have.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Well, at least he has some swords in his background. When you ask for an appraisal, you will be asked what you need it for. If you say 'insurance for replacement value', the appraised value will be higher than if you ask what you could sell for today. This is the first I've heard of a verbal appraisal that was kept on file. If it's written down for the file, why not for you? Was this service represented as being more informal than other types?

I guess something I would want to know is if he would be making his assessment mainly on his own current knowledge or would he actually do some research? The latter presumably costs more; the other would probably be a waste of money. An intangible, but did he seem interested in seeing the swords? Or was he ho-hum about them? What was the purpose you told him you wanted the appraisals for?

10. He will be doing research on them. They have a process where I would be sending a bunch of photos and they have directions on how to take them, but because they are local I was thinking about asking to just take the swords to them. He was saying that the written can be used legally and other reasons - and that it would cost a lot more. I told him the reason is because we want to sell them.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

The question I cannot answer is how much value is added to each sword by having a written appraisal to go with it. It's an expense that may be a good investment.

Maybe start by requesting a verbal appraisal on just a few items, which hopefully will give you the terms that will allow you to do your own Internet research into what similar swords are selling for, & see how useful you find the info.

We do around here all the time exactly what an appraiser does: first characterize the item, gather as many descriptive terms as we can & see if we can identify the item; with that info in hand, go searching for similar items that have been sold. You can do the same with info you get from the appraiser.

komokwa likes this.
  12. komokwa

He will be doing research on them. They have a process where I would be sending a bunch of photos and they have directions on how to take

ya................we do that too !:facepalm:

I just don't want to get taken advantage of

well...then....it's time u did some work and put up some of those required photo's , so we can start the process of helping you........;);)

Start with the two weapons u say were seen by Roadshow staff..:wideyed::wideyed:

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Okay thanks - gonna start the process today

Bronwen likes this.
  14. I see, gonna have to bust out the collection and take some photos then post on here - stay tuned theres a lot lol

Bronwen likes this.
  15. komokwa

PS......an Antique store...is not a weapons dealer.....;);):inpain:

that said....... I have to ask you Rus....???

We've been here before and you received massive amounts of free , credible, spot on information......so why not just show us what u got...right out of the gate......without all the chit chat and tales...?????

Check out this Kris blade
    Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Ruskoinabiscuit, Nov 15, 2020.

No one "Took Advantage" of you ,,, here !!!!!!!;);):inpain:

16. Yeah good point - I’m trying to post now but hit media size limit and looks like my picture files are too big to just add to the thread..

17. komokwa

you did the kris well enuf.....
    u may need to send the pics to yourself at a reduced size....

r u on a new smartphone....since last nov ???

18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Keep your photos under 1MB and you will be fine. I generally keep them to 500 KB to 800 KB to make sure they are large enough yet load quickly.

19. Yeah new phone on iphone 12

komokwa likes this.
  20. komokwa

Draft saved Draft deleted