Trying to date this chair everyone

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Trae, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Trae

Trae New Member

Brand new member.....I’ve been tearing down this old chair for a week....every layer I discover something new. Images include claw and ball front feet, horse hair stuffing, hand tied springs,and some pencil marks, grease pencil numbers and a number written inside the rail in blue pencil “6353”.

From what I can research the carvings are English gothic, but I have no idea how old it might be. There are only nails, no screws used in assembly. Appears the original fabric is velvet chartreuse.

Anyone familiar with this style? 0236E23A-ED4D-4E18-B4B9-6F6500E73F18.jpeg 6806AED0-905C-4524-8F40-D108D6F77938.jpeg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to Antiquers, Trae!!! Nice job getting good sized images up!! You can put up to 10 images per post.....just have to keep them under 1 MB each! @verybrad & @James Conrad can help you better with the age on this, than I can!!!

i need help likes this.
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Trae!

Trae and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Trae.

Trae, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think 30s-40s with borrowed motifs from various furniture styles.

Trae, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  6. Trae

Trae New Member

Thank you @verybrad - what else do I look for as far as construction of the chair to put a value on it?

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Assuming it sits well, not much else you need to know. Valued as other good used furniture that has a useful life. It is worth what you can get for it. This is dependent on your market and your selling venue. Here in my semi-rural Midwest market, upholstered chairs rarely bring more than $150.00 at retail. More likely, less than $100.00. Much less at auction or other wholesale type venue. Your market may do better (or worse).

AuDragon and Trae like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted