Trying to determine Italian artist.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Scott Schultz, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Scott Schultz

Scott Schultz New Member

This piece came from the estate of a well known doctor who frequently purchased high-end artwork while traveling in Europe. This particular piece looks to be Italian and is titled on the back "L' Ubriacone" which translates to "The Drunkard". I've had a hard time deciphering the signature both signed on the front and back of the piece. If anyone has any insight as to who this artist is (more than likely an Italian) please enlighten me.

Thanks up front for all of your help!

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 and samuelcaulfield1 like this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I think the alphabet... is not something for spelling an Italian name.

3. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm not sure what the writing on the front says. To me, it seems that the lettering on the back is written in a different hand. It seems to me that the second line on the back is the result of somebody trying to copy the lettering on the front, as if it wasn't a familiar alphabet to them. I could be incorrect but that is how it strikes me. The first line of writing on the back seems more naturally written.

As Jivvy wrote, it doesn't seem that the second line is an Italian name. I'm not even sure whether it is a name at all. It could be, but it's hard to interpret.

4. Scott Schultz

Scott Schultz New Member

Hi Jivvy - You had so much good insight as to my other posting today on the "Fazedores" piece. Might you happen to have any additional thoughts on this one? I've spent a fair amount of time researching this without any luck. Thank again - Scott

5. Jivvy

When you first posted this, I though there was something oddly familiar about it and I still do, but I have no idea if that signature even uses an alphabet (much less which one).

6. Scott Schultz

Scott Schultz New Member

Thank you for your input. As artist's tend to do I think that they're just trying to be fancy or different on how they've signed this. I think that once understood it's probably easy to see/recognize. I thought that maybe it was some sort of cipher/code, though I don't know much about how to decipher it. Thanks again - Scott

7. Jivvy

Or it's this. Only less famous. ;)

index.png

Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It looks like some type of Middle Eastern/Indian characters

Draft saved Draft deleted