Trying to find info on lamp...Art Deco?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Scared of cats, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Hi,

I got this lamp at a Peddler's mall. It is some type of metal and her face is maybe resin? The arms are missing and I am thinking that they there were originally the same material as her face? Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Kiki

komokwa likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

She is Art Deco. Face might be celluloid. Shame arms (which would have been made of same material) are missing.

Debora

3. Ah, that is right, celluloid. I could not think of what that material was. I bet it was beautiful with the arms. Thanks!

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-12-16_13-45-14.jpeg upload_2019-12-16_13-46-12.jpeg
    yes, likely arms were not metal....

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  5. Bronwen and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

You may be able to find something suitable at a hobby shop that sells doll parts for crafters. They probably wouldn't have celluloid but maybe something in resin could work.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The originals has Ivory parts. Mass produced copies like this one used celluloid ..even so, the copies are quite desirable but the original Chiparus ones are very expensive, or at least they used to be!

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the technique is very old and was called chryselephantine, which meant gold and ivory. since art nouveau and then especially French art déco, the combination of any metal like pewter, régule etc. and other materials like bone, resin, plastic etc. also goes under that name.
    one of the best collections is in Salamanca in the "museo casa de lis".

9. I wonder if it has any worth with no arms? It is still very pretty regardless.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-12-16_20-19-14.jpeg

I'd think it would !
    The face is nice....the fanned skirt....it still has a presence ..
    the light works.....the base isn't bust up...... it is what it is..!!

How much and to whom............ ????
    Whether replacing the arms would add or take away value...????

These are things above my pay grade !!;):sorry::sorry:

11. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

@Fid - Yes, yes - French, of course. We all know those lines from La Marseillaise!

"No arms, citoyens;
    Préparer l'amputation...."

Fid and Scared of cats like this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

at the moment from what little I understand of politics, it seems rather the English cousin of Fatty Arbuckle, that is trying a self-amputation...

but back to art and away from the gruesome. it seems as if the face was in one of those waxy materials, especially sensitive to heat. mine are luckily still defending their place in the vaults and didn't lose any parts.
    chrys1 (1024x465).jpg
    chrys2 (1009x1024).jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted