Featured Trying to find info on this porcelain doll - any help appreciated!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by LovesVintage, Oct 6, 2020.

1. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

Hey antiquers, I have inherited a wonderful heirloom: a doll that belonged to my great aunt, who was born in 1900. I've included a photo of her with the doll below, circa 1903 or '04. Unfortunately, I can find no information about the mark that's on the back of the doll's shoulder plate. She is on her way back to me after being repaired, and the woman I dealt with was also not very forthcoming with info at all, other than the fact that it's a very nice doll, the head originally went with a taller body, and someone repaired the eyes at some point by fixing them onto some mechanism to open & close (when perhaps they did not do that originally.) Also, her head is porcelain (bisque, I assume.)

I've checked online for the mark, most recently at Doll Reference dot com, with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can find out where, when, and by whom this doll was made? Also, I'm interested in what you can tell me by looking at her. Is the body leather? It doesn't look like she had molded hair, right? Do you agree that the head and body weren't made for each other? Etc. etc.

I will NEVER sell her, I'm simply curious. She is part of the family lore and is a treasured heirloom.

I am also interested in finding somebody to make her something to wear! Hoping to locate a doll seamstress close to me. I'd actually like a period boy's outfit but I don't know if I can get shoes on her. What do you think? Maybe I should just get a long dress.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you care to share!

Jason Edgar.jpg
    Jason Edgar backplate.jpg
    Jason Edgar back of head.jpg
    Jason Edgar with ILB.jpg

KSW, Matt Johnson and kyratango like this.
  2. LovesVintage

Hahaha, I mean, obviously she did not have molded hair, she had a wig. Sorry, that was stupid.

Fid, Christmasjoy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What a charming photograph. And that was one well-loved doll.

Debora

Christmasjoy, KSW and LovesVintage like this.
  4. LovesVintage

That's for sure! :joyful: My auntie called her 'Jason Edgar', which I adore. That's why I'd love to have somebody make her a really cute turn of the century boy's outfit, complete with a cap.

KSW likes this.
  5. LovesVintage

6. LovesVintage

Could possibly be an Armand Marseilles German bisque? No idea if that's her original body or not (I actually think it could be), but I did find a Ruth character doll whose face looks similar.

Who knows. I'm anxious to get her back from being repaired and rewigged, can't wait to see how she looks.

KSW likes this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I would say Armand Marseilles.

Unfortunately her condition is quite poor.

She would have more sentimental value than monetary...............

You could dress her and no one would know her condition.

If you do so, try and find an appropriate wig. The new ones are awful.

Christmasjoy, KSW and LovesVintage like this.
  8. LovesVintage

Thank you, judy. Do you think you could show me an example of an appropriate versus an awful wig, please?

KSW likes this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

A boot would probably fit best.

And, if you do find a seamstress, ask if she uses antique material.....or at least one that looks antique.

Nothing worse than an antique doll dressed to look antique, but all the wrong materials were used...........:cat:

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Let me do some googling to see if I can find examples.........

It is also possible that the seamstress makes her own wigs.

I took a class many years ago, so I know it's possible. A wig made of mohair is what she needs.

Also, the cost of dressing her will outway any antique value.

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Cute, but not appropriate.

It may look ok on this doll, but the head size makes a difference on fit.

Of course, it is up to you.........make her as cute as you think she should be using your pocketbook.

Just the fact that you dress her and sit her in a corner for you to enjoy is the ultimate goal. Best of luck.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Let me tag @Christmasjoy. She dresses antique dolls and could be of help to you.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  13. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

There are sooo many Armand Marseilles Ruth dolls on worthpoint.

Fid, Christmasjoy, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  14. LovesVintage

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

15. LovesVintage

Excellent, thanks - I'll take a look, purely for illustrative purposes. I found several this morning on ebay and rubylane.

16. LovesVintage

17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

That one looks nice. And claims to be mohair.

A rule of thought when buying, less is more! Try not to buy synthetic, but if you must look for one that's not so bouffant....if that makes sense.

Google antique dolls.....you're sure to find good examples.

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm looking a the photos again. What is stuffed inside her head? Doesn't it interfer with the eye movement?

May I ask what did you have repaired?

Also, to me, the doll your aunt is holding appears to be much smaller....

Christmasjoy, Van_Poperin and KSW like this.
  19. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Looks like an AM to me too. Fun fact...Armand Marseille was actually a German doll maker.

I agree with the comments above. I don't think that the head is original to that particular body (although that is a German body) and it's not the same doll that's shown in the picture with your aunt. Beautiful picture, BTW!

Her head was probably stuffed to keep the eye rocker stationary. It actually looks like the type of fabric that would have been used for her socks or an undershirt. Might want to check that out. ;)

It's a good idea to lightly stuff the heads on bisque dolls with sleep eyes when they're displayed for long periods or being shipped. The weight on the eye rocker (the mechanism that makes the eyes sleep) can dislodge from the plaster and make the dolls eyes fall out...or even worse crack the bisque. If you are storing bisque dolls, lay them face down so you don't have to worry about the eyes.

When you get her back can you let me know the size of her head? I've got lots of antique doll wigs and if I've got one that will fit, you're welcome to have it. :happy:

KSW, Fid, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  20. LovesVintage

Wait, what? PLEASE tell me why you don't think that's the same doll. My mother was quite certain, and stored the photo with this doll and everything.

That's all great information about the eyes, thank you. The person who worked on her said that someone had affixed the eyes to something weird in there. I think she will come back with stationary eyes. And THANK YOU for the wig offer! I should have her back on Thursday, and will report in. But I'll be devastated if that's not even my aunt's doll, ugh. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted