Trying to find time period on ballon chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rberr, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Rberr

Rberr Member

Hi all. I'm trying to find a time period and see if it is worth reupholstering or having the needlework redone as far as value goes. I really like the design and may just be happy with the way it is as well but wanted to hear some opinions. IMG_3274.JPG IMG_3275.JPG IMG_3276.JPG Happy Saturday!

kyratango likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

1870s-1880s would be my guess. I would reupholster it and enjoy it,they dont sell for much these days.

kyratango, Rberr, Ladybranch and 2 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the above -- Circa 1870. The back fabric may be original.

kyratango, Rberr, Ladybranch and 2 others like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

We can correct our post titles now. :)

Rberr and judy like this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

You might add finger-roll and carved crest rail to the description of this balloon-back gentleman's armchair in hopes of attracting attention if planning on selling. Usually finger-roll balloon-backs do not have carved crests. Not sure what your carving is. Might be fruit and leaves, nuts and leaves or fruit, nuts and leaves?

An examples of finger-rolls:
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victorian-gentlemans-chair-balloon-back-finger

Note the one in the middle has the finger-rolls and no carved crest and the one on the left has the carved crest and no finger-roll:
    https://new.liveauctioneers.com/item/19373619_victorian-furniture-lot-including-3-gentleman-s

--- Susan

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Lightened it but still can't identify the style.......NICE chair though!!! I think the seat fabric looks original too, when you view the enlarged image.....

zIMG_3274.jpg

kyratango and Rberr like this.
  7. Rberr

Rberr Member

Thank you all so much for the information! I would love to get the needlepoint redone so it can stay close to original but I am sure that it would be super expensive. It is surprisingly comfortable for the age but I'm afraid to plant my big butt in it for too long LOL

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted