Featured trying to ID designer of clutch using mark & patent info

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by antique85, Jul 17, 2021.

1. antique85

antique85 Well-Known Member

Thank you in advance for reading my post about this interesting clutch that has a mark and a patent number. Any information would be appreciated. I am trying to find out the designer or manufacturer and have the following information:

(First, I am not sure if the bag crocodile or alligator. )

The mark is very interesting and attached below: It is a cube drawing with the letter "E" in one square and a "P" in another square and on the top of the square there is a square design or symbol I cannot discern Does anyone know what designer or manufacturer this would be or a source I look this up on?

The patent number is 1,623,610, and I have attached the patent. This gets interesting:The patent is assigned to Groove Lock Co. Inc. NYC NY in the 1920s. When I did a google search on the Google patents this company had a number of similar patents associated with the name Harry LEBERMAN in the 1920s (see attached screen shot). Is Harry Lieberman a designer?

I have tried numerous Google searches on various combinations of key words and names and have not found anything.

I appreciate your taking time to read my post.

Front copy.jpg mark copy.jpg mark.jpg back.jpg inside copy 2.jpg patent number.jpg patent  copy.jpg Harry Leberman.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd say gator.......i have a wallet like that somewhere....

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At that date, probably a manufacturer rather than a designer. And suspect neigh near impossible to identify who. (Do you think logo meant to be square nut?)

Debora

Unknown.jpg

4. antique85

Interesting. I think it looks to be a square nut. I will research this.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  5. antique85

Just a thought....I assumed 1920s because of patent but just because patent was 1920s doesn't mean bag couldn't be 1940s or 1960s..just a thought. Is there a database listing vintage bag designers?

6. antique85

So disappointing. I googled EP and found the information below on "Electro Plated Nickel Silver." Do you think that that it is what the mark stands for and not a manufacturer? :(

"What does EP stand for on silver?
    Electro Plated Nickel Silver
    Many silver plated items bear the marks 'EPNS' that stand for Electro Plated Nickel Silveror 'EP' for Electro Plate."

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Nope-it’s crocodile. The value is the same between the two animals but only croc has an ISO pore which is that tiny dot in each belly tile (scale). It’s a sensory hair pore-alligators don’t have them.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Do caiman? I have a little caiman clutch that came with something else I bought. Made in South America somewhere. Don’t recall where off the top of my head.

edit: it was Argentina.

LauraGarnet02 and antique85 like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

To the best of my knowledge only crocodile has the ISO pore.

LauraGarnet02, antique85 and J Dagger like this.
  10. antique85

Thank you for taking the time to reply with this information. It is very impressive that you would know such specific information crocodile skins. This really helps me a lot when I do searches online.

11. Tahmoor girl

Tahmoor girl Active Member

12. Tahmoor girl

13. antique85

14. antique85

After looking closely at the mark with the "magnifier tool" in Mac's Preview, I am not sure the second letter is a "P." It looks like the line on the right side continues downward under the rounded top part. Could it be a capital A or a symbol? Does anyone know a vintage bag designer or manufacturer starting with the letter "E"

mark copy.jpg

15. Tahmoor girl

I know nothing about Harry Leberman. I just did one search.

antique85 likes this.
  16. Tahmoor girl

17. antique85

18. reader

reader Well-Known Member

i’m still waiting for that question to come up on Jeopardy! Just one of those relatively obscure facts i picked up that stuck. Glad i could put it to use!

antique85 likes this.
  19. Tahmoor girl

I just put searched for 'patent 1623610'.

20. Tahmoor girl

OH,....I said that last night, sorry

Draft saved Draft deleted