Trying to ID Elsie Moore

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Figtree3, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This is a cheaply printed cabinet photo, rather faded. She is identified as Elsie Moore.

When I bought this a long time ago, I was not able to identify her. I just gave it another try and found this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=xI...6AEwAw#v=onepage&q="elsie moore" fiji&f=false

There is a photo of an Elsie Moore, who was a light opera star, in that publication.

Below is a cropped close up of the the head of the Elsie in my photo. Do you think it's the same person depicted in the book above? I have darkened and sharpened the close up somewhat.

Elsie Moore original (420x640).jpg Elsie Moore (640x518).jpg

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Figtree, I don't mean to sound insensitive (or worse), but the "older" woman in the link identified as Elsie Moore appears in the (later) photo to have the eye condition called "strabismus."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12157
    "In divergent strabismus, or exotropia, the visual axes diverge."

I don't see evidence of that in the photo you have of her in her younger years but . . . it could have been an eye condition which came into play during the later years of her life.

Then again, the younger photo (which you have) is taken at such an angle that one can hardly be certain about the alignment of the eyes.

3. Figtree3

Thanks for the comments - interesting insight! I don't think it's possible to tell definitively from my photo whether or not she has strabismus. It tends to appear that she does not, but I can't see that eye very well.

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Her mouth and eyebrows look close to the same - the eye thingie could be just because she was looking in a different direction, causing it look less evident.

I know when I had that "one crossed eye" thing a few years ago, it didn't look crossed if I was looking to the opposite direction of it.
    (did any of this make sense? LOL)

5. Figtree3

I also thought that the eyebrows and mouth were similar in both pictures. Also generally, the head shape and hair seem to be of similar types.

If anybody can find any other Elsie Moores to consider, that would also be appreciated.

6. tandkpaxton

tandkpaxton Member

I think it helps to be able to see them both. My feeling is they are the same.[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. tandkpaxton

tandkpaxton Member

Sorry, posted that by mistake. Still trying to figure out how to upload photos.

8. tandkpaxton

tandkpaxton Member

It helps to read the directions,doesn't it?[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing that! (and my husband would disagree about instructions. heehee)
    It's good to hear from you!. Hope you are having a pleasant Thanksgiving?

Now that I can see them together, I think the nostrils also look similar.

10. Figtree3

Thank you, Tim! I knew there was a way to do that but didn't look into it. Maybe this will help others to say what they think of the comparison.

I haven't found any other performers named Elsie Moore who could be the same as the woman on my picture.

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I also think the eyebrows & eyes very similar. I realize the angle of the nose is different in the pictures, but I do think the tip and bridge as well as the right nostril look very similar also.

--- Susan

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

13. Figtree3

Thanks, s_i_s!

I see they swiped that photo from one of my favorite photo ID sites, Picture History. I had not thought to look there. They have 5 photos of Elsie there.

And I see that they say that she started her public career in the 1870s. I'm now thinking the photo from the book is of a woman who would have been younger. Because somebody who started her career in 1874 would not look that young 30 years later. Plus, the book I found said that Elsie Moore was originally from Australia and gives a whole different career trajectory for her.

Picture History does not have a way to link to all 5 search results. Here is one:
    http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/21721

Here is another - the one swiped on Pinterest:
    http://www.picturehistory.com/product/id/21740

Draft saved Draft deleted