Trying to ID. Real or knockoff?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Aztek721, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Aztek721

Aztek721 Member

Any ideas? Wood is fairly light. Cannot find markings that would indicate handmade, but they don't look to me to be from Indonesia or Bali. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Aztek721

Aztek721 Member

Attached Files:

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think you have the wrong continent.

Debora

4. Aztek721

Aztek721 Member

Sorry, I thought Inuit was a native tribe? I guess this is strictly for African art?

5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Inuit? You're joking, right?

The Tribal Art forum is for tribal in general. For some reason it is also used for non-tribal non-Western.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  8. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I think @Debora meant the reference to Bali/Asia was the wrong continent. You are in the right forum.

To me, at first blush, they appear to be tourist items perhaps from Mexico, or even Central America, e.g., guatemala, or northern S.A., e.g., ecuador. The first one appears the most to me like Mexican origin. The content reminds of 'festival' type masks representing what appears to be jaguar, and snake. The dark eyes remind me of tribal face paint of Aztec (more Day of the Dead actually), but they are definitely modern.

Not inuit, agree. Other than Mexico being on the N.A. continent, not Native American from North America. [edit: uh, thank you all for not pointing out that my reference to "North Americas" prior to deleting the 's' might lead one to ask "what other North America are you referring to? North North America and South North America?" :eggface:)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  9. Aztek721

Aztek721 Member

Well, no. I have no idea where they are from. They were donated where I work at the same time as a seal skin coat, so my poor over-tired brain was thinking Alaska. Sorry if I offended you.

10. Any Jewelry

Agree.
    I am sorry, I seriously thought you were joking. Especially since your avatar name is Aztek, which I thought alluded to Aztec, much closer to the origin.

antidiem, kyratango, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No one's offended and apologies to you for my terse reply. They're from Latin America but where I dunno. México is certainly a possibility. And they do appear to be decorative, meaning they were meant for display rather than use.

Debora

antidiem, kyratango, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  12. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

upload_2019-6-7_12-25-40.png
    Novica sells this mask, similar in style to the jaguar above, claimed to be from Mexico. [edit... well "similar" is quite relative, since its not really all that similar, actually ... in the grand scheme, let's say.]

13. Aztek721

Aztek721 Member

True. It does allude to that in a roundabout way. (Grant Morrison comic). I've been so busy lately I can't think straight. As soon as Dawnno said Mexico I had a HUGE duh moment. I'd gotten so stuck with the seal/Alaska thought I couldn't get past it.

I think i need to clock out and go rest. My wires are seriously crossed...

14. Aztek721

Aztek721 Member

That is awesome.

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think the search term “totem mask Mexico” will help you find similar. As other stated, perhaps Aztec ONLY pertaining to style. :)

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Dawnno like this.
  16. Dawnno

Dawnno Well-Known Member

I couldn't resist posting this description:
    upload_2019-6-7_12-42-57.png

"Retro Mayan Aztec ..." That must've been, what, the Olmec??? since the Retro Aztec ... are the Toltec?

[What a geek joke.]

kyratango, komokwa, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Sleep tight, you deserve it.:)

18. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

As others have said, not Inuit or Native American, but Latin American, a souvenir-type mask.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

with the jaguar and snake , mexico isn't a stretch ....

antidiem and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted