Trying to identify Man in old Tinted Photograph + Signature

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by gimbler-dave, Feb 15, 2016.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

We are trying to find out if this is someone notable. Two photos, roughly 5 inch by 4 inches in old brass frames. One is behind glass, while the other has missing glass. Both signed at lower right. Any ID on the man in the photographs or the signatures? Thanks! ... Dave
    db_portrait_1.JPG
    db_portrait_2.JPG
    db_portrait_3.JPG
    db_portrait_4.JPG
    db_portrait_5.JPG

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Here's the text of a 1905 Los Angeles newspaper article about him!

"MUSHET, ARTIST PHOTOGRAPHER

A photographer who has made a fine reputation in Los Angeles during the past five years by his excellent and superior work is Robert- Mushet. wh,ose new, commodious and artistic studio is at 512 South Hill street. He is one of the kind of photographic artists who are constant and tireless students. A visit to Mr. Mushet's studio will be a lasting pleasure to any one with an artistic eye. Mr. Muahet was the first to Introduce in Los Angeles what is termed "sketch portraiture:" for such work photography is entitled to be classed as an art. He continues to retain his old studio at 217^6 South Spring street, where for five years he made a specialty of children's pictures. Mr. Mushet invents new styles, and one of them is a beautiful conception of miniature portraits in sepia, carbon and black. Of portraits in folders he has conceived a striking effect in white and black grounds. He makes reproductions and enlarges from old photographs, In which work . he excels, as samples ho has on exhibition show. He gives to a portrait likeness, the artist's dainty touch, and permanence, which is of great Importance. Visitors can be assured of a hearty welcome and a sincere desire to please each one. , .: ... "

Sounds like his techniques are a good description of the work on these portraits.

Figtree3 and gimbler-dave like this.
  4. gimbler-dave

Thank you Bakersgma, I think you solved a puzzle. S_I_S got the ID correct, but I couldn't figure out the 2nd line of the sig. I think it is Mushet L A, in the same manner as he does his Seattle sig.

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Edward Robert Mushet, born 1877 in Sheffield, England. Emigrated 1894, arriving in Portland. By 1900 he was living in LA and working as a clerk in a drug store. By 1906, he was a photographer in LA. Went to Seattle sometime after 1910, (1916 Seattle City Directory and 1920 Census) but died in LA in 1956.

Figtree3 and gimbler-dave like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The man in the photo is probably not anybody notable, but you never know. Most notable people, and I would think this would apply doubly in Los Angeles, would be identified somehow on the photo. Have you taken them out to look on the backs?

7. Bakersgma

He's got quite the "lantern jaw." :wideyed:

cxgirl likes this.
  8. gimbler-dave

Partially - the one missing glass had a partially open frame, so I snapped it the rest of the way open. The back of the photo had a few numbers in pencil, but nothing of any obvious significance. Nothing else inside that gave any clues.

9. gimbler-dave

I just popped the other one open - really easy. The photo there has the same kind of information. I'll post a picture in a few minutes after I load it in.

10. gimbler-dave

Here's the pic of the info on the back of the 2nd picture. I tried a google image search earlier on the front of the picture, but didn't get any close matches.
    db_portrait_6.JPG

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

2295 and either "me" or "one" or something else? :)

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Inventory numbers. Quite the debonair fellow.

13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Maybe he was using these as advertising shots since they stayed together.

14. Aga_mum

Aga_mum New Member

I have a photo of my MIL that was taken in Seattle by Mushet in June 1918.

He wrote her last name on back in pencil and a stock number. Mushet
    SEATTLE is in raised script on front -lower right side of photo.

BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted