Featured Tsimshian Witchy Woman Mask Artist

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by DogMom76, May 27, 2021.

1. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

IMG-20210525-WA0011.jpg IMG-20210526-WA0007.jpg I'm trying to identify the artist of this mask. The photo of the signature carving is included. The title is Witchy Woman of the Woods and was carved by a Tsimshian artist. This mask was purchased from a gallery in Vancouver in the late 80's/early 90's by my late father.

Thank you for your help.

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Welcome!

I will "tag" someone who may be able to help. @komokwa

Any Jewelry, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

hummm...i don't recognize the siggy...

It's a Tsonokwa Mask.... Wild Woman of the Woods.... a Kwakiutl Legend...

the eye's are a little on the big side...but it's got the look..

upload_2021-5-28_2-33-19.jpeg

upload_2021-5-28_2-37-7.jpeg

can we see any other shot's of the back..?

4. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Is the name "Witchy Woman" written on the back, or the Tsimshian attribution? It would be more normal to find Tsonokwa or a variant spelling, or "wild woman of the woods."
    Are the initials AA; not FF?
    The style is familiar, but my mind is not coming up with a name.

judy and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

witchy woman....is a song...

& I dislike guys who make it hard to identify their work...

still....need more pics...!!!!

judy, pearlsnblume and all_fakes like this.
  6. all_fakes

Let's see, who likes to give their carvings quirky names....Robert Davidson, Beau Dick, but isn't theirs....Alfred Robertson, if the initials are AR?

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Thank you! I will contact them.

judy likes this.
  8. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

20210623_172905.jpg IMG-20210429-WA0000.jpg IMG-20210429-WA0003.jpg IMG-20210429-WA0002.jpg IMG-20210429-WA0001.jpg 20210623_165340.jpg 20210623_165311.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. I wasn't getting notifications there were replies. :-(

I now have physical possession of the mask and took better photos.

Yes, "Witchy Woman of the Woods" is carved into the back. Most of my search results come up with the song. Haha

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Yes, the Witchy Woman of the Woods and Tsimshian are both carved into the back of the mask. (I uploaded some photos of the back.) :)

The signature marks are very difficult to identify as specific letters. There could be an M or an H or....lol
    I haven't been able to find anything to match, and the artists whose work is around that time or style rarely show a "carved" signature on the back, if at all. Usually they are signed.

judy likes this.
  10. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Sorry for the lengthy silence! I will check the thread now that I know it's not notifying me
    :) pics uploaded

judy likes this.
  11. komokwa

in the late 80's/early 90's.......................i was actively purchasing , in Vancouver.

I don not recognize the siggy......or any Tsimshian artist who would have carved a Kwakiutl Tsonkwa...

Maybe , contacting a few of the older Galleries , and showing them the mask....could bring results...;)

Any Jewelry, judy and DogMom76 like this.
  12. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Thank you for your fast response. Unfortunately I have sent multiple galleries (including the one it was purchased from) email requests for help. I have yet to receive any reply. :-( I have even emailed some Tsimshian artists who also carve masks to see if they might know. Still hoping...

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. komokwa

Who was it bought from ?

14. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Hill's Native Art

Tara did reply to my first email and said she'd try to look up the signature or give me an estimate of its value if she couldn't identify them, but has never responded to subsequent emails. That was in April.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. komokwa

They do get carvings from a wide variety of artists...............I no longer know anyone there so I can't help further.....:(:(:(

16. all_fakes

Hill's is a well-known gallery, but they do sell a whole lot of masks, from a very wide variety of artists, indeed.
    I don't recognize the signature; it does appear to be genuine native work. I don't have any current contacts there either.

DogMom76 and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

18. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Screenshot_20210831-173617_Google.jpg Beau Dick's work strongly resembles my mask....anyone know what his signature would look like?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2021
  19. komokwa

P1010129.JPG P1010133.JPG

signed in pencil.............

20. DogMom76

DogMom76 New Member

Or Robert Scow Jr? I emailed him just now to ask.

Draft saved Draft deleted