Featured Tunbridge Ware Piano

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by david spiers, Oct 5, 2016.

1. david spiers

david spiers New Member

More of Granddads stuff. Neat little piano thing with a music box inside. Measures 11 3/4" X 7" X 5 1/2" Some of the guts are missing and I don't think it is the right music box, and that is finicky and needs work. Mirror is cracked as you can see. Other than that in pretty good shape. Any info would be great. Granddad thanks you. 1-tun-pia.JPG 1-tun-pia123.JPG 1-tun-pia1234.JPG 1-tun-pia1234567.JPG 1-tun-pia12345.JPG 1-tun-pia12345678901.JPG 1-tun-pia12345678.JPG

2. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

I know nothing (other than what the knowledgeable folks here have already said), but judging by the wrinkling/splitting it looks like machine cut veneer, not the same technique as the box previously shown.

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Yes, marquetry, 20th C musical jewellery box, Swiss movement looks ok, and nothing to do with Tunbridge ware in this instance. Possibly 1960s.

I suspect they used something like a microtome to cut thin veneers from long bundles of strips.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm curious about the idea of it representing a piano. I realize the shape could be interpreted as that, but I see nothing else to indicate a piano... no keyboard, etc. Unless there is something not showing? I agree with the idea of it being a jewelry box.

5. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I saw a similar one to this at an antiques centre we often visit, This one was for sewing and was fitted with compartments for the tools.
    It was in a bit of a state and they were asking around £1400, It was reduced later and must have been sold.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Sewing -- that also makes sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted