Featured Turn of the Century Bicycle pin backs + a "pen wiper" pin

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Lucille.b, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I suppose these could have gone under "Antiques" but picked this forum, hope that's okay.

1890s, 1900s bicycle advertising pins badges. I had shown these under "finds" a few months back, but discovered something special about one just yesterday as I was getting ready to list.

The pin with the felt behind it (was thinking former owner just used that fabric as display) turns out that felt has a purpose! Side of the pin reads, "Penwiper Whitehead and Hoag Co..."

Searched "Penwiper Whitehead and Hoag Co" (and even just "Penwiper") on Ebay, nothing. But online found that it was popular late 1800s, early 1900s to have advertising pins with 3 layers of felt as backing, and you could clean your fountain pen nib on them!

Mine just has the one layer remaining, but hopefully this extra feature will add to interest. c99.jpg

rim3b.jpg

Sorry, got a big reflection on the back of the penwiper:

aab.jpg

It was just luck of the draw I got these. I didn't even know most were for bicycles, assumed the tires and brakes were something else. And I'm a big fan of bicycles.

Firemandk, janettekay, Fid and 12 others like this.
  2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Wow those are really cool old advertising pins! They get the Joe2007 seal of approval! Have seen the Corbin Brake pinbacks before.

3. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Those are fascinating! I love the fobs. I didn't realize that style of pin was used so far back; I have a red cross pin like that, and I'm glad to be able to assign a date to it now.

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you're selling those, there's a ready market for them, or was before this mess hit. Old bike guys, and they're mostly guys, glom WWI-era stuff.

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Let us know how you do on the sale Lucille!

6. Lucille.b

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Nice collection. I have a large number of pinbacks, but none as old as these.

8. Lucille.b

@Marie Forjan

I meant to share the results of the sale which were okay but not earth shattering.

I listed all in an auction format, and for each auction had a small note on the bottom listing all 7 by name, as a bit of advertising for the others.

For 5 of the 7, I was able to find similar under "sold" so had a price point and basically listed the opening bid around that or a bit less.

For the Penwiper and the brass St. Louis fob-like one, I just guessed. The bulk of these were listed around $14.99-$19.99 as a starting bid, the Penwiper I started at $45.

Only two sold. Can you guess which?

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I'll guess: "rims are the rims" and the long motorcycle one with the belt buckle top.

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. Lucille.b

I'll check back at the end of the today (Sunday). Keep the guesses coming! :)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'll guess the penwiper and the one with the eagle. (My alternate guess is the New Departure, but I know the guess doesn't count.)

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd guess the penwiper and the rims too - bicycle nuts are always looking for early stuff.

13. Lucille.b

Cheers! Everyone got at least one right! :)

The two that sold: The penwiper with the "rims". Sold for the opening bid of $45. Possibly might have been better to list that at a BIN for a bit higher (penwiper pins apparently being pretty rare) but I really had no idea of the value since I couldn't find others, so went with an auction. Anyway, made a good profit on it, so can't complain.

The other one that sold was the "New Departure" stick pin, a bicycle wheel hub with brake. The graphics and colors on that were fantastic. A woman's ringed hand, etc. That one went from starting bid $14.99 to $38.

I expect the others to sell eventually. Going to put back up with BIN's.

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Hey Lucille, congratulations on the 2 sales, I'm glad you made a profit :)

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great! And darn, I should have gone with my alternate second guess. Then I would have gotten both right. :)

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted