Featured Turquoise lovers, this one is for you. Ladakh. Also coral and copal amber.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Any Jewelry, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Feast your turquoise loving eyes on this. Ladakhi heirloom jewellery, Himalayan turquoise, coral and copal.
    Copal is half-fossilized tree resin, younger than amber, which is fully fossilized. It is the kind of 'amber' you see in Himalayan and North African jewellery.
    Ladakh is a region in the north Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. The population and culture are ethnically Tibetan. The landscape is bleak, but the dress certainly makes up for that.
    Ladakhi women would be justified in saying: "Oh, this old thing? I just threw something on.":D

From my favourite blogger, Jaina Mishra:

[​IMG]
    The headdress is called perak.
    More on:
    https://wovensouls.org/2014/04/30/a-ladakhi-lady-dons-her-heirloom-jewelry/

[​IMG]

Another perak:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Splendid... Really a feast for the eyes:woot::joyful:
    Thanks AJ for posting :)

KingofThings, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! What do they weigh?!

4. Any Jewelry

Too much for comfort. And the higher your status, the more rows of turquoise there were.

judy, KingofThings and kyratango like this.
  5. Bronwen

Figured. Do you work your way up, so you can strengthen you muscles gradually? Suppose part of it is showing you have no need to stir any of those muscles, that all things are done for/brought to you.

judy, KingofThings and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Your mother would give you one when you got married. But I suppose the construction at the back which she puts on first also serves as a support.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The turquoise serves as a protection. Both of the woman and to ensure here feminine power, symbolized by her hair, doesn't interfere with feminine forces like water and plant growth.

7. buyingtime777

buyingtime777 Well-Known Member

Love your posts!!! Thank you for broadening my cultural horizons Any Jewelry!

judy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Pleasure, buying, culture is fascinating, wherever it is. Human creativity is amazing.

And I love broad horizons, that's why I live in a flat country.:happy:

judy and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

Are the men similarly weighted down in any way? Can their hair interfere with 'masculine processes'?

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

By the way, those silver decorations on the peraks are prayer boxes, called Gau. They contain protective mantras, blessings, herbs, gems.
    And what would those be?:D Sorry guys....:sorry:
    Women are associated with growth etc. The Ladakhis are mainly farmers, so protection of water and crops is important. Men have no power over that.....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    judy likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Hence the need for power over women! I have some pieces I think are gau, acquired for jewellery making that will probably never get done. Will post & see what other fascinating stuff we learn. :happy:

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Looking forward.:)

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Has to wait until Monday earliest. My schedule & the sun's are in conflict until then, but will be very appreciate of you knowledge & observations. :happy:

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted