Featured Two beds, zero clue

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Booker, Sep 28, 2016.

1. James Booker

James Booker New Member

Hi all, first post on here, thanks for reading.

I bought these twin beds about eight years ago in Australia (where I lived) and have stored them since (in the UK for most of that time) but I know very little about them and I'd love to put it out to a wider audience to get your opinions.

They have no identifying markings, badges etc and I'm not a regular "antiquer", only occasional pieces for around the home so I'm not as educated as yourselves when it comes to eras, origins, wood types etc.

Let me know your thoughts, if you'd be so kind.

IMG_3705b.jpg IMG_3711b.jpg IMG_3696b.jpg IMG_3712b.jpg

IMG_3705b.jpg
    IMG_3711b.jpg
    IMG_3696b.jpg
    IMG_3712b.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those are lovely ! Id say they are 1930s,possibly oak(though wood isnt my forte).Is that inlay possibly silver ? Oh and welcome. :)

3. NorgeBluEyes

NorgeBluEyes Member

Welcome! I'm sure someone here will know or at least point you in the right direction. They are beautiful beds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with Johnny, 1930s. And I also think tiger oak inlay.
    If the silver color is metal and not paint, I doubt that it is real silver as that would have turned black by now. More likely pewter. Would aluminum have been in use during the 1930s?

cxgirl and James Booker like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the others. Art deco 1930s, oak, with pewter inlay. Likely English but possibly French, Belgium, or Holland unless they made this kind of thing in Australia. I know nothing of Australian furniture.

James Booker likes this.
  6. James Booker

James Booker New Member

It is definitely a metal band of some kind, I've attached another pic. It's kind of a grey colour in natural light, pewter makes sense to me. Thanks to all who've so far replied.
    IMG_3699b.jpg
    IMG_3699b.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  7. James Booker

James Booker New Member

I suspect you're right verybrad, it may have been brought out from the UK to Australia as they seemed unusual to me (i grew up in oz). You'll see from the pics the wood grain alternates between horizontal to vertical inside the 'flower' and outside the flower, the alternate (eg horizontal inside, vertical outside)

Have you seen anything with this type of inlay before?

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Typically this would be done with something besides oak, which makes me think British rather than European. You often see French art deco pieces with alternating grain inlays in more exotic hardwoods.

Lucille.b and James Booker like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Excellent photographs James Booker.

cxgirl and James Booker like this.
  10. James Booker

James Booker New Member

Thanks Lucille, I used a fixed 50mm lens on a Canon 550d which gives you a nice shallow depth of field (it also makes me look better at photography than I really am)

pearlsnblume and cxgirl like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Don't blame the camera .....:happy::happy:

James Booker likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted