Featured Two children's wooden chairs, can anyone identify?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by MissMessyE, Jul 2, 2020.

1. MissMessyE

MissMessyE New Member

IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0919.JPG Hello and thank you for your time and any information about these two small children's chairs. They were likely trash-picked by my parents in Manhattan in the 50s or 60s (I can only assume, as this is where they got a good amount of our furniture). The rocker is 27" x 15" x 15", and the wicker-seated chair is 28" x 16" x 15". Thank you very much!

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, MissMessyE! I'm not a furniture guru, but that little rocker (particularly the arms and back) has the look of a 20s or 30's "Morris chair" in a child's size.

@Ghopper1924 @verybrad Your thoughts? Am I off base?

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Cane seat chair circa 1890. Mission chair circa 1920.

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree with Verybrad on dates, so no, Bakers, you're not off base. The cane chair looks to be walnut; the rocker oak. Fun stuff to find in the trash!

5. MissMessyE

MissMessyE New Member

My goodness! I am so grateful for these responses. Thank you all for your knowledge and time. I was fortunate to grow up in a house full of oddities that my bohemian parents (both professional NY ballet dancers at the time) plucked from the trash. At one point we had so many discarded church artifacts, that we must have looked like a gift shop! They were just so lovely, who could resist? All of these orphans had a fully respected second life with us. I am very appreciative of the information about these darling wee chairs.

6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted