Two Chinese export (?) egg cups, date?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ValerieK, Oct 10, 2020.

1. ValerieK

ValerieK Well-Known Member

I have had these two egg cups for a while, assuming they were Chinese export but never being able to find anything which looks quite like them. They are both hand painted. One is quite tall and slim, in typical butterflies and flower sprig style, and looks like it could be circa 1800, or later, I can be optimistic! The other, shorter one is marked and reminds me of occupied Japan tea sets, so I think possiby mid-20th century. It has a monogram painted in blue. I know people used to order personalised items from China in Georgian times, but this one makes me think of perhaps a little porcelain shop (in Japan?) where the proprietor might add a personal touch on a gift, for a visiting customer.
    What do you folks think? I would love to know for sure when and where they were made. My photos seem to have uploaded in reverse order, with the monogrammed egg cup first! Chinese Egg Cups - 6.jpg Chinese Egg Cups - 4.jpg Chinese Egg Cups - 5.jpg Chinese Egg Cups - 1.jpg Chinese Egg Cups - 7.jpg Chinese Egg Cups - 3.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

judy likes this.
  3. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the other is Satsuma. Reminds me of Taizan in style

4. ValerieK

Thank you for this! It confirms what I thought about this cup, occupied Japan or a bit later. I must be getting better at this identity guessing game! I am picturing soldiers a long way from home, taking back little souvenirs of oriental porcelain for friends and relatives. There seem to be a number of eggshell and geisha tea sets on the market nowadays, that generation is passing away . . .

judy likes this.
  5. ValerieK

Thank you for this info, it gives me something to search for. A very quick google search (it's gone 1.30am here, I really should be in bed!), found me some Taizan Satsuma with a much more accomplished painted design, but a very similar design around the rim. I think my egg cup is from the "cheap and cheerful" range! Do you have an idea of an age?

judy likes this.
  6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Best guess Taisho period which was in first quarter 20thc

MR Treasure Hunter and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted