Two Chinese figures

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by KevinStandage, Sep 22, 2020.

1. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

Not sure this classifies as tribal art, but I was unsure where to post it, apologies if I'm in the wrong place for this one.

Clearing my father's house, have come across this. Almost certainly comes via my Great Grandfather who spent some time in Hong Kong in the early 1900s. The fabric this is made from is somewhat curious, it is very light and it almost feels like a resin type material. It is 10cm high.

IMG20200921124847.jpg

IMG20200921124854.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated !

Kevin.

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Don't worry, most items that get posted in the tribal arts forum are not tribal at all, but from 'regular' Asian states.;)
    You're right, it is resin, and it has age. Maybe 1920s-30s, does that make sense regarding your great-grandfather?

Figtree3, judy, aaroncab and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Perhaps something more in the nature of Celluloid than like modern day resin. There are collectors of early plastics.

4. KevinStandage

KevinStandage Member

He died back in the UK in 1909, so if they came from him (which is highly likely judging by other things we have found), they should date to 1900 - 1905 ish when he was stationed in Hong Kong.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could be, I am not really an expert on resin figurines.;) I do know that prices for these older pieces are going up. They don't represent Chinese btw, they represent Japanese people and could be Japanese made. Or even Western made, I know Italy manufactured a lot of Asian style resin figurines.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted