Featured Two *finds* from Sunday~bowl and lead small thing

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BoudiccaJones, Apr 24, 2019.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I have two favourite booty sellers,they are both house emptiers ( can't remember the proper name...house clearance!)

Anyway both are kind to me, they let me fill a bag with kerap and charge me at the end and it's never very much.

These are two things that caught my eye and went into my bag this weekend,have loads more too. (Not expecting anything to be *exciting*, just want to learn and I like bright things and bowls are always good, they then get filled with smaller things. Win/win)

I liked this bowl because even though it was really badly grimy,the pretty colour took my attention. The flowers and leaves are a bit embossed ( is that the right word? Like higher than the surrounding bits?) I don't think it's very old. I am curious as it's pretty.
    It's just over six inches across the open bit,and approx two inches down )

The other thing looks as if it has bits which have broken off. It's just under an inch across. We used to go metal detecting when I was a child and this looks as if it's been dug up. Pretty sure it's lead.
    Thanks everyone, have tonnes and tonnes more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks everyone x x x

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Wee bowl looks Meiji Japanese. I think the token might be a mining one.

3. BoudiccaJones

Thank you my lovely! Off to look ! <3 <3 <3

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

Don't know if this can be seen on the pics, the lead thing has letters on it and what looks like a crown,the letters look like they could be WEBBS so that could well be a mining token then as you said Mrs. B ? xx

Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The lovely bowl looks Japanese Juzan Gama ware to me, with those gorgeous colours and that high lustre. I have a few bowls as well, love the style.
    Juzan Gama was made in a family kiln ca 1970-1990. It is regarded as Arita ware.
    But best ask @Mat to confirm.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

Thank you AJ , just took a quick look and does look similair...£26 is good,but I know the bowl'll be here still in months ( years!) to come!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's pretty and completely fit for purpose - i.e. holding other bits. I wouldn't move it on too quickly either. Besides, the Japanese market is still down; might as well wait a few years/decades to see if it improves. :smuggrin:

9. BoudiccaJones

[QUOTE="evelyb30, post: 585934, member: 36" I wouldn't move it on too quickly either. Besides, the Japanese market is still down; might as well wait a few years/decades to see if it improves. :smuggrin:[/QUOTE]

hahah this is music to my ears :D stay it shall :D x x x

Thanks eveyone as always x x xxx

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

That could be a lead cloth seal. I follow a Facebook page called London Mudlark. They find those on the foreshore all the time.

Figtree3, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

Thank you Bev,I showed it to my Dad actually today and he said something about a seal. Not that he knows much more than I do ... I'm going to go and have a look now! Thank you x x x

12. BoudiccaJones

Bev you are right! I found one which is almost identical on a page called Portable Antiquities Scheme, hope it's Ok to share a pic from there..anyway it's 19th century according to the site x x
    I could see WEBB on mine but no other writing ... thank you so much x xx

Pic from here http://www.bagseals.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=556

[​IMG]

13. Any Jewelry

Wonderful, Bou. A nice piece of popular history.:)

judy, Christmasjoy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  14. BoudiccaJones

Thanks AJ, love to find out things x x

My son loves The Bowl,btw so I am going to give it to him and that leaves a gap SO I have more room to fill this weekend!

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Aha. Seal makes sense. I love that Mudlark page, one of these days I'll get a licence and go hunting.

judy, BoudiccaJones and Christmasjoy like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

And I was thinking champagne bottle. :)

judy, BoudiccaJones and Christmasjoy like this.
  17. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE the bowl Bou .. beautiful !!! ... Joy. :)

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  18. BoudiccaJones

God I'd LOVE to mudlark ,used to read about it in my metal detecting mags when I was small xxxx

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  19. BoudiccaJones

Thanks Joy,tis SO pretty! One son has claimed it now so again,win/win he's happy, I get to see it ( and creates more space for MORE TREASURES!) xxx

judy likes this.
  20. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted