Two old musket horns + one gunpowder flask (?)

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by hokeypix, Dec 29, 2014.

1. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Some preliminary research leads me to believe that's what these are. The musket (?) horns seem very old and one is filled with tiny metal shot pellets. The purplish embossed flask seems like it could be a repro. Plastic? Just not sure.

Any info on any of these would be most appreciated, including what they're called, age, material, and value. Thanks.

image.jpg image.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

pisf1.JPG
    pisf5.JPG

I sold a nice small old powder flask several years back. ( Above )

The markings of yours look like civil war recreations , but non specific and the top ( could use a photo like mine ) looks newly made.

Plastic would be a dead give a way to a reproduction.

The two Shot Horns both look 19th century,( but may be newer ) and look used , but they're missing the stoppers and carrying straps and have no markings on them .
    They're cow horn , and while they could have seen military use , I think they're more likely personal hunting horns .

Tiny metal shot....is still used for small game today...like birds..( thus birdshot..) , but not normally for anything bigger....like folks ! :inpain::inpain:

3. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Thanks. I assume the embossed flask is some sort of repro. As far as the horns, could you give me an idea of value? I looked over on ebay and there was a bit of range (I assume mostly based on age - does size also play a factor?). Are all of these the same? : black powder, musket, shot flask, muzzle loader, etc. What would be the proper name for the two horn ones?

4. komokwa

I can't be 100% certain from just one photo.....but it sure looks that way....it's just too clean .

Black Powder Shot Horns , should do nicely.
    It's not a flask....that's the other one.
    Musket & muzzle loader ....are fire arms.

The price depends on style, age, condition, engraving...if any , and provenance...if any.
    At one time every American who had a muzzle loading black powder fire arm...would have needed to have a shot flask and powder horn......so they were made from the sublime to the ridiculous !

I have no knowledge of current prices.

5. komokwa

....repro's may still find a market for re-enactors of civil war battles.

6. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

One of them has little metal beads (buckshot?) inside it. Is that safe? Should I remove it? I'll probably be putting these in a B&M shop btw. (Unless there seems to be a big demand on ebay). No engravings that I can see, but really nice horns, well worn, etc.

7. komokwa

Here's your flask.
    It's an A.Uberti made replica...
    132-Flasks_114149.jpg

Here's several forms of home made gunpowder................
    if your stuff looks anything like this .....you have a Powder Horn.
    Wet the powder....and throw it out !

Black-Powder.jpg

If your stuff looks like this..........no worries !!!

[​IMG]

8. hokeypix

hokeypix Member

Thanks! The shot is def. round , like the bottom ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted