Two paintings by the same artist - need help identifying signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by starfish, Apr 12, 2020.

1. starfish

starfish Member

Hi all! I wonder if anyone knows who is the artist behind these two paintings. Appears to be oil on board. I inherited them from my grandmother but have no idea where and how she got them. Would really appreciate your ideas!

PHOTO_20200412_133651.jpg PHOTO_20200412_133651.jpg PHOTO_20200412_133839.jpg PHOTO_20200412_133711.jpg PHOTO_20200412_133909.jpg PHOTO_20200412_133702.jpg PHOTO_20200412_133803.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think it might say Bertz, but nothing I found so far. See what others think. Please hit Edit, More Options, check display as Full Images, Save Changes.

Christmasjoy and starfish like this.
  3. i need help

4. starfish

starfish Member

Thank you! I keep trying various versions and nothing so far. I think the initials are H.H.

i need help likes this.
  5. i need help

Others will be along with suggestions. :)

starfish likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I see "Benoit" but could be wrong.

Debora

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1930s maybe. I should add that those appear to be decorative paintings, the type of thing bought in a department store as accessories for a living room, in which case the name of the "artist" is not of import.

Debora

8. starfish

starfish Member

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm just hopeful that maybe having inverted the middle one into different colors may have brought out enough differences to be helpful.....maybe as @i need help suggested, I.H.Bertz!!

PHOTO_20200412_133909-X3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Houseful, i need help and starfish like this.
  10. starfish

starfish Member

Wow, how cool! Didn't know one can change up the colors like that! Is it photoshop?

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Yep, I live to "play" with Photoshop.....definitely NOT a pro though!!!!

12. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

There is an online tool ( http://retroreveal.org ) that stamp collectors use to bring out details of faint postmarks and similar things. You upload an image and it generates a bunch of variations of the image that may reveal things that are hidden. It could be useful for painting signatures.
    Here's the site on a page that shows an example of the results.
    http://retroreveal.org/images/ss/47020

13. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

14. starfish

starfish Member

15. i need help

We go in in circles, sometimes, but get there eventually. This time was faster than most.
    Kudos @anundverkaufen with a big assist from @Aquitaine !!
    :)

16. starfish

starfish Member

What a wonderful resource! Thanks so much for sharing! I have a few other paintings where signatures are hard to read, will try this online tool to figure things out.

17. starfish

starfish Member

Thank you all so much! I can't believe how quickly I got the answers and learned additional useful things in the meantime! So much knowledge and kindness on this site.

18. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That is so true!

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is very interesting. The explanations are complex (to me), so will take a little learning to know what I'm seeing. Thanks for posting it.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  20. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wondered why your paintings looked so familiar to me. I went to the bathroom and I think I have a match to your first one.
    greg 011.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted