Two pair of tribal bracelets (India, Pakistan, Afghanistan) is there a good auction house for these?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Brywil1970, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Brywil1970

Brywil1970 Well-Known Member

Ok, I have researched the heck out of these and here is what I have come up with the spiked bracelets are called Gokhru and are from Northern India or Pakistan. The long cuff bracelets with red stones are called Turkmen or Turkoman and are from Afghanistan. I have had these x-rayed and they test above sterling at .950 to .960 silver. There is a lot of the Turkmen sold on line but they have a wide range and some are just silverplate. The price for "sterling" ones range from $800 to $1100. The Gokhru are harder to find asking prices or especially sold prices, but I have seen one for sale for 500 Euros. My question is is there an auction house that deals with jewelry like this that any of you would recommend?

TIA, Bryan

IMG_2059 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2060 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2061 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2063 (800x600).jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice silver work !!

judy and kyratango like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous bracelets. And pairs, very good. Ethnic bracelet pairs are generally worth more than two singles.

The Gokhru bracelets are from Kohistan, a border region in Pakistan-Afghanistan-Tajikistan. Probably early years of the 20th century.
    Spiked bracelets like these are also called defense bracelets. Some say the general shape is phallic and would help a woman get sons. Not sure what the medical profession has to say about that.;) I think the shape is likely to be related to pre-Islamic protective snake and Makara bracelets, which are seen in many parts of Asia.

The Turkmen bracelets are 19th century.
    Do you know for sure they are from Afghanistan? They are very much Tekke in style. The Tekke Turkmen live in southeastern Turkmenistan.
    The Ersari Turkmen live in Turkmenistan and Afghanistan, but their jewellery is different. Their bracelets have a similar general shape with the claws at the back, but they use fewer and smaller stones. The decoration is usually floral, with small repoussé appliqués.

This online auctioneer has weekly specialized ethnic jewellery auctions:
    https://auction.catawiki.com/a/116631-etnische-sieraden-veiling

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted