Two-Piece Oil Lamps

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by NCSophie, Mar 3, 2020.

1. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

I'm curious if anyone can tell me anything about these two oil lamps. I saw them at an auction preview last weekend and unfortunately the only pic I have is the one from the catalog. The font and base are two separate pieces, they fit together like a candle into a candle holder. For what it's worth they have Lamplighter burners. Two Piece Oil Lamp 2.jpg

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

3. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Lamplight Farms was and is rather prolific in their lamp offerings. The two I see are more ornate and complex than most. Was there any indication of predicted prices for them? I have seen some fairly similar go for maybe $10 at an auction. Not a huge market for them.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I know very little about oil lamps, but notice that the glass tops (fonts?) appear to be 2 different sizes. The one on the right appears to be too small for the base. Probably easy to find a replacement?

5. Iowa Jayhawk

I am not very familiar with Lamplight Farms, as they started in the 50's I believe, and most of my lamps are 100+ years old. I think what they were doing was a variation of the "mix and match" fonts and bases done by Hobbs in the 1800's. They actually had a screw on connector that connected bases to fonts so you could select a certain base and match it to a font. I would assume you can find Lamplight Farms fonts that would work with the bases, but don't know for sure.

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  6. NCSophie

NCSophie Member

Thanks all. I'm not sure that the lamps themselves were actually Lamplight Farms, just that the burners are marked as such. I've seen plenty of newer burners on old lamps, though I suspect that regardless of who made them they aren't especially old. I really wish my husband had looked at them as he's much more knowledgeable on oil lamps.

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Too bad there aren't more pictures including the pieces separated and the burner collar. They may actually be from the early part of the 1900's.

Draft saved Draft deleted