Two questions about a vintage, five-strand choker

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by northernridge, Jul 31, 2014.

1. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

Here's a choker with five strands of alternating beads, very much costume jewelry. Though not my taste, I think it's rather cool looking.
    [​IMG]
    The shortest strand measures 13", and longest 17". It weighs 4.5 ounces. So I must assume that it's nothing more than plastic.

The other question is whether it's even worth listing. Scrutiny reveals lots of wear to the beads (although it doesn't seem to detract significantly from its generally striking appearance). Here's a close-up showing the wear.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks as always!

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

The two things that seem to sell multistrand beaded necklaces are the amount of strands (4 or 5 sell better than 1 or 2) and beads that are different. I think there's so many of the vintage japanese, hong kong & german beaded necklaces floating around that in order to sell one you need beads that set yours apart from the others. While you do have a good amount of strands, I'm not sure about your beads.

I'd most likely put this in a lot and point out the wear to the them. If you decide to sell by itself, I would sell it fixed price or at a starting price you're happy with. If you start it at .99, it quite likely will sell at that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. northernridge

Thank you so much for that good input and advice.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I can't tell from the photos if the beads are glass or plastic, though glass beads tend to have sharper edges and transitions in the center of the bicone shape then I'm seeing here.

There are two tests I do to figure out if beads are glass or plastic...

-- If they're cool to the touch, they're more likel to be glass than plastic.

-- If you gently hit two together, plastic will sound like a dull thud while glass will have a clinking sound.

5. northernridge

That settles it. They're plastic.

And that is very good info to take into the future. Thank you so much.

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Happy to help. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted