Featured Two stories for the price of one

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Sep 13, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good (late) evening everyone,

I hope you are having a good night, I certainly am and I wanted to share two stories with you. Well, technically it's three stories, but the first one is really short. Story one: today's my birthday, and only god knows how badly I was hoping to get some silver on my birthday. Well, turns out that wish came true today, here's the two events:

I took the day off from work to relax and enjoy that one day out of the year that I get older. I decided I would have a relaxing day, nothing too hectic. I did decide to visit a few local stores, but honestly I didn't put any real pressure on myself, I just tried to relax and enjoy the day. I got to the last store I was visiting, and I saw a big box of flatware on the counter top. It was wrapped up very thickly with tape over the opening, and so I could just barely turn over one piece of flatware to read the back. My heart started racing, it said sterling on the back, and to my quick and excited eye, it was a full set!!!!!! Well, I paid the $25 the store was asking, and to my terrible dismay, when I got in my car, I realized that only by sheer luck I managed to turn over the only item in the bunch that was sterling, and the rest of the box was plated, and made by Godinger (photo 2 shows the sterling S Kirk and Son ladle next to the plated Godinger serving utensil):

IMG_2182.JPG IMG_2183.JPG IMG_2184.JPG IMG_2185.JPG

All kidding aside, it's still a wonderful find. I'll sell the Godinger set and keep the ladle in my eclectic collection of flatware. But that's not where my day ended. I went back home and watched some shows and relaxed some more. Whenever I find myself bored, I hop online and start to search again. Just how much do I search? ALL the time, every day, probably too much. But I know that the frequency of my searches increases the probability of my finds. Today proved that theory again. I stumbled across a fairly recent listing, this was for a set of "stainless flatware"....Doesn't this story sound familiar to one I told recently? Well, the items didn't look stainless, and that got me inquiring. I liked what the seller told me, and I hopped in my car, drove 2 1/2 hours away from my home, paid a modest sum, and here's what was in the box. Not a bad birthday gift for myself. Round trip ended up being 4 1/2 hours, but well worth the time and the energy:

IMG_2204.JPG IMG_2205.JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2207.JPG IMG_2208.JPG IMG_2209.JPG

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Happy B-Day, MrNate!
    I love your hunting story and your results :woot::joyful:

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

wow, heckuva score! good for you!

pearlsnblume, cxgirl, MrNate and 3 others like this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATE !!! .. Great Birthday gift you found, WELL DONE !!! .. Joy. :):):)

pearlsnblume, cxgirl, MrNate and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Nate, and Happy Birthday to your silver nose as well.:) You did it again!:happy:

6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Lovely birthday present! Spooky how initially you found the only piece of silver in the box.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday, Nate!!

Too bad about the look-alikes in the first picture. There are a fair number of overall floral designs that are almost impossible to tell apart - even when made by the same maker.

I can't imagine driving as far as you do to make purchases. I just hope you're using an extremely efficient car. I know gas is a little cheaper now than it has been, but that has to be taking a big bite out of your potential "profit."

Shaking my head over the seller calling it "stainless" when it is so obviously marked sterling. Nice set though!

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great point Bakersgma. I use to own a V8 truck. I'm happy to say that my little nissan versa "sips" gasoline at an average of 40 mpg. So my round trip cost me about $12 in gas.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Good mpg, but that's still a lot of time on the road. Gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. ;)

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Agreed. But in my mind, I'm sitting at home and someone says to me "hey, if you drive 2 1/2 hours and pay me $25, I'll pay you $1,000"...

11. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

yup, that would work for me, well done!
    a belated Happy Birthday Mr Nate:)

MrNate, Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday Silver Whisperer. Nice finds and great stories.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice scores! Even that silverplated Godinger set is a find; the ornate patterns tend to sell well even now.

MrNate, Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It is all how you were raised. Most people under 30 called flatware stainless.
    The same for under 50. They usually had plated silver as silver. Over 70 had flatware as silver and Sterling as real silver. Happy Birthday Nate.
    greg

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've always called it silverware, not to be confused with silver plate or sterling.

16. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Happy birthday, @MrNate ! Very late, so I hope you are still enjoying. The stories are great, and fun to read.

kyratango, MrNate and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted