Two vases.......no idea what they are

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Ruedi, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

Hi Theses were given to me us an engagement present many years ago. They were purchased by my friend at a garage sale. Have always wondered if they are "marked in Chinese characters" or if they are just brush strokes, About 5 inches tall. Thank you for your opinions

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

1950s lacquerware would be my guess.

3. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

Thank you very much for the help. Is there any chance the characters could be sign or are they just marks on the vases

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They look like actual characters to me. I suspect Japanese rather than Chinese. Meiji period or thereabouts.

5. Ruedi

Ruedi Active Member

Thank you..Meiji....?1911.....how would I go about finding more information?

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

We do have a couple of people who speak Chinese and Japanese, so maybe repost with Oriental/Asian in the header? Otherwise, there's a decent Facebook group or two out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted