Featured Two viola(?) bows Albert Nurnberger and Richard Geipel

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bookahtoo, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I got two bows last weekend. I have been doing some research but don't really have the background to understand a lot of what I'm reading. Both bows measure 28" long and have rounded frogs - so I think they are full size viola bows. I don't have a scale to weigh them here.

This one is marked Albert Nurnburger and Germany and I think is probably worth way more than the other:

DSCN8823.JPG

DSCN8824.JPG

DSCN8825.JPG

DSCN8835.JPG

DSCN8830.JPG

This one is stamped Richard Geipel and Czechoslovakia:

bow2.jpg

DSCN8842.JPG

DSCN8843.JPG

DSCN8847.JPG

Any information is welcome!!! Thanks!

cxgirl, judy, aaroncab and 5 others like this.
  2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. go to a good auction house. the Nürnberger may bring a few 1000 in the right auction. the Geipel is historically more interesting because it's a German family from the Sudetenland that was probably chased out in 1945 and marked with Germany in later years. 300 - 500 my guess.

cxgirl, judy, aaroncab and 3 others like this.
  3. Bookahtoo

Thanks fid!

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I still have to let go of my anger at the guy that copped off with the bows to my fiddles back in 2004..............:banhappy::banghead::blackalien::vomit::vamp::rage::punch:....I keep workin' on it... Bookahtoo, those look great!!! Good LUCK with them!!!!!

judy, Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Rounded frogs do indicate viola bows; other than that, I'd suggest taking them to a reputable shop for a more informed opinion. Geipel was from Markneukirchen Germany (I've got a violin from there) and some of his bows appear to sell for pretty good money.

cxgirl, judy and aaroncab like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Wait - what? What happened?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  7. Bookahtoo

All_fakes - do you play violin?

I'll have to look for a shop - maybe in Amherst or Northampton. What about Worcester Aquitaine?

8. all_fakes

Yes. And viola, sometimes.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

I just submitted pictures of both bows to Skinner's online evaluations, mostly because there's a Skinner within 45 from me.
    I assume they will tell me to send better pictures. :eek::D

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Skinner's has a good name, even here in Europe. and they will certainly know that bow maker and violin maker are not the same profession.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  11. Aquitaine

When we had the dealer we worked with to clean out mom’s house back in 2004, I would tell him what I wanted to keep......his crew was running around the house packing up stuff, and there was hardly any place to hide anything off limits, as the house just had so much stuff......BUT HE WAS TOLD, and that’s what irked me......there were also some old graduated sleigh bells that I HAD tucked in a closet........NOPE.....that didn’t work either.......I guess I shouldn’t complain too much......I think those were the main things I KNOW disappeared out of ALL of it........:rolleyes: still....

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Hmmmmm, Kurlan’s Music Shop used to be at the Summit just off Route 12, just before West Boylston, but I THINK they closed their doors about a year ago......can’t think of any other at the moment.....

13. Bookahtoo

Yup - I think they're closed. :(

14. Bookahtoo

Well, I heard from Skinner:

Thank you for contacting Skinner's Fine Musical Instruments Department. Based on the images you have submitted for review and pending personal inspection, below please find conservative auction estimates for your property:

Group of two cello bows: $200-300

Next steps:
    You are welcome to drop-off or mail-in the consignment to our Marlborough gallery, or we can provide door-to-door transportation for an hourly charge of $200 for large items. Our address is 274 Cedar Hill Street, Marlborough, MA 01752. For drop offs, please call ahead to 508-970-3135 to arrange a time, M-F from 9AM to 4PM. Please bring a copy of this email with you, or include it in the packaging if you are shipping in material.

Once we have had a chance to look at the items in person we will forward a consignment contract with finalized auction estimates. We collect a commission on items sold, outlined below.

:( Why would they want them if they are worth so little?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Probably because they do think they will bring more money. They said "conservative" estimate.

When I brought my Onderdonk painting to them, the estimate I received was waaaay below hammer price. I think the estimate was around $20,000....it realized $75,000.

16. Bookahtoo

Oh, wait a minute, he said they were cello bows. What do you all think?

So should I give them the bows?

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

are those lads crazy ? I'd take the blower and ask them if they are serious. for anything below 800 to 1000 you can also list them on ebay yourself and make some people happy with two bargains.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Can you take them in so they can inspect them in person? If you don't like what you hear you could always take them home again.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  19. all_fakes

I'd try to find a way to weigh them; that should reveal if they are cello or viola bows...my own vote would be for viola, but the weight would tell.
    I'd be reluctant to list with Skinner's as cello bows if they are not.

My own preference would be to check the directory linked above I think, for a bow or violin maker who might be willing to give an opinion from photos, if none were close enough to make a physical visit practical.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
  20. Bookahtoo

I have a small jewelry scale, and an electronic postal scale at the store. Would either of them do?

What directory? Did I miss it?

Draft saved Draft deleted