Featured Two wooden figures

Discussion in 'Art' started by Hamburger, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Hamburger

Hamburger Absolute Beginner

Encouraged by the friendly welcome, I'm now asking for input on these two carved wooden figures. I'm looking forward to seeing what the board's collective knowledge and experience can tell us about these items -- my searches so far have raised questions rather than providing answers.

These slightly damaged figures are around 31 x 13 cm / 12" x 5". The wood seems very dense (they weigh around 750g / 1.65 lbs each) and smooth. They were left by my wife's parents and our best guess is that they were bought during a trip to southern Africa in the 1990s.

The detail and general 'feel' of the figures suggests that considerable time and skill was involved in making them. Of course that doesn't mean they aren't just 'tourist art', but we're curious to know more. TIA for any input! IMG_5751.JPG IMG_5752.JPG IMG_5753.JPG IMG_5754.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, these are Balinese not African and @Any Jewelry is the gal to sort these out for you.

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

6. Hamburger

Thank you both for saving me from going ever further down the rabbit hole marked "Africa"!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are both made in the style of carvings from the 1960s, which is considered the late Balinese Art Deco period. But I think they could be later, maybe ca 1980.
    Yes, they are made as souvenirs or for export, but the Balinese have managed to make quality items along with all the junk.
    Your carvings are nice quality. In Balinese culture it is important to share, even in art, which means carvings are rarely unique. Having a signature would be a bonus, but you didn't mention that they are signed.
    The wood looks dry, btw. Maybe a bit of tlc?

Just a clue to see if a figure is sub-Saharan African. If figures have straight hair, they are rarely African.

komokwa, blooey, i need help and 7 others like this.
  8. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

The one on Worthpoint sold for $590. :woot:

9. Hamburger

Thank you Any Jewlry for that incredibly helpful post. Also thanks to sassafras for the Worthpoint price, which I hadn't been able to find on eBay (possibly just too long ago).

There are no signatures that I can see. The wood isn't as dry as it appears on the photos (it's a grey day so I had to use flash) but a bit of attention is indeed overdue.

10. Any Jewelry

That one is better quality though, and much bigger. Still, very expensive imo.

11. Any Jewelry

You're welcome, Hamburger.:)

komokwa, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. Ronald_D

Ronald_D New Member

13. Ronald_D

Ronald_D New Member

The praying lady ... typical balinese carving ... made of coromandel wood. Ready to be restored. When finished the statue will be put into pure beewax for a few days after which it will be polished.

Hamburger and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just wondering if there is any significance to the six toes on the lady's foot?

gregtheelder likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted