Featured Type & Age of Dresser

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by shady54, Mar 16, 2019 at 10:42 PM.

  1. shady54

    shady54 New Member

  2. johnnycb09

    johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

    1880s-1900s oak .Mass produced. Very nicely kept.
  3. i need help

    i need help Well-Known Member

    Very nice condition, and I wish everyone would post photos like these for Furniture. :)
  4. verybrad

    verybrad Well-Known Member

    Circa 1900 oak indeed. There is some disagreement on whether this configuration is a dresser with bonnet chest or a gentleman's dresser with compartment for shaving accessories. I would tend toward the latter on this one, with the lower cabinet for housing a wash basin. I guess it could be for either and really is kind of an example of Victorian excess. If a dresser is good, one with a floating cabinet is different than the competition's and better.
  5. clutteredcloset49

    clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

    I agree with gentleman's dresser.
    However, I always thought the box was for a hat

    Here is a different style with the side storage. No way you could shave at this one.
  6. verybrad

    verybrad Well-Known Member

    Agree, bonnet chest on that one.
  7. clutteredcloset49

    clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

    I don't think bonnets, I think men's top hats.
    James Conrad and judy like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

    clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

  9. Ghopper1924

    Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

    Shady 54's dresser is known in this part of the U.S. midwest as a "Hatbox Dresser." Definitely oak, but appears to be refinished (not a big deal for this price point); I'd put the date a bit later in the first quarter of the 20th century.

    I remember trying to bargain someone down from $1K for one of these 10 years ago and not succeeding. Now I could scoop one up for $150-$200 at auction.
    James Conrad likes this.
  10. verybrad

    verybrad Well-Known Member

    For bonnets or hats kind of used interchangeably here. Preferred form is bonnet chest for some reason.... sounds fancier ;)
  11. clutteredcloset49

    clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

    Hmmm, I haven't known many men to wear bonnets.
    The picture I showed in #5, is too tall for a lady. That's a gentleman's dresser.

    In today's age, doesn't really matter, you're going to use it for whatever works.
    The only reason to use either term would be if you were listing it for sale. In which case, both should be used.
    James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted
Similar Threads: Type Dresser
Forum Title Date
Furniture Need help identifying what style/type dresser this is... Aug 25, 2018
Furniture Type of chair elusive. . .can anyone help? Oct 17, 2018
Furniture What type of table is this? Oct 16, 2018
Furniture Does anyone know what type of piece this is? Oct 16, 2018
Furniture What type of glass is this? Aug 31, 2018

Share This Page