Featured Type of Beads (again!)

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Marko, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have had these on display in my curio cabinet for years. They are a ruby reddish color inside, but glow blue on the outside. Does anyone know what these beads are called? Do you think they are Czech? Thank you. Czech beads red blue (511x640).jpg

wenna, KSW, Any Jewelry and 7 others like this.
  2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

very pretty

KSW, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bicolor rhinestones are often called Kreol or Cuba stones. No idea about color-lined beads. Czech is as good a guess as any.

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you. I am not seeing another strand with these colors on the internet. I have seen a few with pastel colors, including uranium glass.

5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I would not call these Cuba/Kreol which is more a "float" or "cloud" of one color in another.

I would call them faceted translucent blue beads with a red core. :joyful: Not sure if there is a short name for a contrasting core color (there may well be, the world of beads/jewelry is surprisingly full of jargon).

6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Cannot offer a specific name for them, but they are spectacular. Can't say I've seen similar. What a great color combo. Absolutely love these.

kyratango, KSW, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

KSW, Marko and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

They are beautiful Marko .. lovely, Joy.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  9. Jivvy

I could be misreading the pics (wouldn't be the first time!), but I don't think these are painted on the inside, I think it's actually two colors of glass.

Christmasjoy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

This is a great reference, thank you! I do not think these are painted, though. Thank you everyone, they were in the curio because I love looking at them.

They are more like this description, from your site: Of the beads shown below, the first two (which have a cloud of one color inside another) could be called givre beads, although I prefer "two-tone" because the inner color is not opaque. The fifth bead is a subtle mixture and may be hard to see: aqua and green.

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Could these be Bohemian/Czech rainbow crystal?

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  12. Jivvy

I think we need closeups of one or two of the larger beads, one or two of the smaller, and one or two of spacer beads.

I still see red core encased in translucent blue. :bucktooth:

"Givré" gets used in a lot of different ways these days (basically any color mixed with clear gets labeled givré) but givré means "frost" and using it with abandon makes me crazy... but I am in the very (very) small minority.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have a lot of czech rainbow/iris glass. I don't think so....I will try to get closeups soon, cloudy here today.

15. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Agreed; I believe they're Czech. However, there are good Czech and old, hand polished Czech. Take a jeweler's loupe 15x, look at the perforations (the holes), and see if there are any mold marks. The more cheaply made ones haven't had them polished away. Then, look at each under a 10x magnifying glass. Are all the facets uniform? Or are some big, some small? Are the facets sharply polished, or are the edges dull? If, e.g., the beads show no mold marks, the facets are slightly different in size, and the edges are sharp, they're older and IMO, more 'cool' beads. And, how heavy are they? Glass, or more like crystal? That's a feel thing unless you destroy one for further study.

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  16. Jivvy

Given what I believe is a core of colored glass encased in another color, I am definitely on the hand-faceted train.

EDIT: Not that it's impossible with molding, but my gut says not molded.

Christmasjoy and Kathy Anderson like this.
  17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

They have wear. Facets irregular, I think. It is raining outside, so here are some inside pictures....what do you think? Somebody did love them, they have wear, glass, heavy.

crb1 (640x640).jpg
    crb2 (603x640).jpg crb3 (328x640).jpg
    crb4 (203x640).jpg

18. evelyb30

Those are even better close up.

19. Jivvy

Are the spacers metallic looking in person? I'm guessing electroplated which would help with dating, but I don't know those dates...

Back to the books. I swear I have yet another book on just glass beads, but I haven't done the deep dive into the book boxes...

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you, evelyb. Jivvy, someone may or may not have restrung them.....I have been looking at old Czech necklaces and they did use smaller beads between the larger ones. They look like hematite to me, but I have to check to see if they are magnetic. Let me know what bead books you have. I have one, no luck, on Bohemian glass/buttons.

Draft saved Draft deleted