Featured Type of Train?

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ScanticAntiques, Feb 1, 2016.

1. ScanticAntiques

ScanticAntiques Well-Known Member

Hello!

Can anyone tell me the type of Steam Train pictured?

I know very little about steam engine collecting!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always!

Warmest Regards,
    Scantic IMG_0051.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Thom Thumb type.

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

And I believe the lower row shows a number of model steam engines (without boilers) but I can't really tell much about them from the photo.

ScanticAntiques and KingofThings like this.
  4. ScanticAntiques

That's what I was thinking! Made me think the trains would be steam examples as well?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Quite a nice photo!
    I love to go to steam shows. :)

ScanticAntiques likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

THe locos are from around 1850, the display may be from the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace. I tried to sharpen it up a bit, but not much luck. Bottom left and right appear to be models of typical mill engines.

IMG_00.JPG

7. ScanticAntiques

Very interesting! I'll try to get a better photo shortly, see if that helps!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

9. ScanticAntiques

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

By the 1850s they were using those belled-out smokestacks on wood-fired engines

Not in Britain, these are British engines. Always coal fired. Although some did have slightly flared chimneys.

As for the picture, a scan might be better, then run the scan through Picasa to adjust contrast and colour.

11. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I've worked a bit with the pic, but as af suggested, I suspect a scan would be better.

--- Susan

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

A display of the evolution of steam engines perhaps?

13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

ScanticAntiques, I've gathered that you don't have a scanner. Was wondering if you would be able to take pictures of your photos at a little less of an angle? You could either have them lying on a flat surface and stand directly over them, or prop a photo up so it is standing and hold the camera or phone in a position at the same level so that there is not much of an angle.

I use this technique for cased images, since my scanner doesn't deal with them very well. This is an example of a photo lying flat on its back:

005 (693x800).jpg

14. Figtree3

This is an example of a cased photo propped up. It's a little more "off" but almost straight.

004 (747x800).jpg

15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree with less angle. Your pics seem to be looking **up** at a picture from the bottom, with the bottom closer to the camera and the top of the pic far away. Usually to get a better view of your pictures I have to edit your pic's perspective with the Perspective Correction Tool in the editing program, Corel Photoshop Pro. Examples:

Before with only cropping:
    IMG_0051-c.jpg

After with perspective correction - no other editing done as to clarity, contrast, etc...:
    IMG_0051-cpc.jpg

If the picture was taken as Fig suggestion, the perspective would be a good 40% better than the corrected one above.

--- Susan

16. Figtree3

And I think both Susan's and mine were just friendly suggestions. We want to be able to help and comment, but sometimes the perspective makes things difficult to discern.

17. ScanticAntiques

100% Agree! I sometimes have trouble with the angle and flash from above! I'll try it right now! I do apologize!

18. ScanticAntiques

The other major problem I have is that the photos I have to post have to be shrunk heavily because of the less than 1MB rule here. These are normally 3MB Photos so they are a lot bigger when not posted here.

19. ScanticAntiques

20. ScanticAntiques

Draft saved Draft deleted